1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2nd plow setup or not?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by appellstriping, Sep 10, 2011.

1. appellstriping

appellstriping Junior Member

Im new to the snow removal business but not parking lot maintenance. I just bought a DODGE 01 2500 with I think a 7.5 Western. I have 5 small parking lots setup for the upcoming season. Was wondering if its a smart idea to put a small plow on my ford explorer??? Just in case of a breakdown with the Dodge. And do you guys also think 5 Small parking lots is to ambitious or I should get a few more? Thanks in advance.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with a backup truck,people are counting on you to be there.

3. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Back up trucks arent a bad thing. If you dont want to drop the $$$ on a 2nd setup work a deal out with someone who can help you out if you break down. The downside to that is depending on someone else to do your work and yea....thats been a disaster in the past. Nothing wrong with expanding your workload but never take on more than you can handle.

4. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

i have an older ford explorer as a backup plow truck. I only have a small snowsport plow on the truck but its still insurance. I plowed a real tough year here in NJ with my explorer and it actually did very well. This is a 1996 explorer v6 that had 160,000 miles at the time

5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

When I was starting out, I tried to keep each trucks schedule to around 6 hours of plowing in case of breakdowns. That way, people wouldn't be too mad if you are a little late. But now that I have a lot more vehicles out plowing, I take on at least 8 hours per truck and then some. I use 4" storms as my guidlines for time, seeing as we get a lot of those.