1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2nd Half of January Predictions!!!!

Discussion in 'Weather' started by JDsnowremoval, Jan 12, 2006.

1. JDsnowremoval

JDsnowremoval Member
    from CT

I cant speak for everyone here but for the most part January feels more like the end of March. 50+ degrees here today and more of the same tomorrow almost all of our snow pack is gone and I swear I see the grass turning green lol. I don't know but I have the feeling the second half of January and all of February is going to be some major payback with some monster snow. Look at Japan over 10+ ft once the weather pattern changes watch out .!! What your predictions for 2nd half on January and February !
  2. almostbk1stday

almostbk1stday Member
    from ontario

Mid January

I for one am happy either way. I have a couple of accounts that are pay-per-plow and the remainder are paid entirely for the season. 10 of my accounts asked to be on the per plow list and I declined (I am glad I did). To answer your question....If the farmers almanac is correct, we are in for a mild winter with above normal temps.

Sorry guys but I just hope we don't see any snow for the rest of the year or atleast until April (thats when my contracts end and the $30 per plows kick in).
  3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I think we will have a couple small cold snaps then going right back into warm. Overall the winter will be a bust. Im sure we will get to plow a few more times. I think spring will be colder than normal when everyone finally wants it to warm up
  4. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Here's my Prediction!!!! Were all going to keep on complaining because it's still going to be crappy!!! Let's face it boys!! Were pretty much DONE!! Put a fork in it!! Chaulk this one up as a lost cause!!! That's OK though......There's always next year!! I think I'll go out and buy another truck!!
  5. danno

danno Senior Member

Well, if its anything like last year here in CT., we got most of our white stuff in Jan., and beyond. Some Nor`easters !
  6. rodfather

rodfather Junior Member

I thought it called for an unusually cold and snowy winter for the NE?
  7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Everything I heard leading up to winter was predicting above normal snow fall with mild temps! But who can really trust the long range forcasters anyway...They are just taking a lucky guess! I wish I had a job where a guy could be wrong that much and still not get fired!
  8. rodfather

rodfather Junior Member

Attorneys and weather forecasters make a career out of it...LOL
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I hope we get a couple heavy snows, I have a few Commercials $$$$, Screw the residential, there the ones that tell you they don't want you any more during a 5" storm. Then call like it's an emergency when we get 12" Screw EM!
  10. fga

fga Member

i never believe a word they say anyway. i'm ready to go... i just sit back and wait.
    by the way, its so warm here, i'm still doing leaf cleanups.. doing 3 today. snow or not, i'm still busy amazingly.

the good thing about a mild winter, i stock up on salt in april/may dirt cheappayup

11. that damn almanac called for a cold, but dry winter in the lakes region. So far it couldn't be more wrong. The funny thing is, it also called for a dry winter in so cal. Wow, that was off by a mile. Oh well, I don't believe that crap anyways.
  12. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Do not give up just yet here in New England !! We all know how fast the weather can change here 60 one day 30 the next. February is the biggest snow month plus even March can give us some good ones. I believe the blizzard of 78 was Feb. 12 and remember the April fools storm about 10 or 12 years ago? 30 inches !!!
  13. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

are you guys on crack? winter is almost over? What? No way. We're only 13 days into the new year and you're all saying its over? :dizzy: :dizzy: We're just getting goin boys and girls!

I did a fall cleanup today (1st time i've ever done one in january...) and I wasn't the only one, saw three other outfits doing the same thing. I know thats typical for LI/NJ/PA, however up off the coast of CT its pretty rare we get this big of a thaw.

Gotta make the money when you can! they're saying 1-3 for tomorrow, which means i get to play with my liquid stuff again! ;)
  14. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

It may snow after all...I pulled my blade out of the mothballs today, to find a broken quick connect fitting and a leaky angle cylinder. I changed out the cylinder with a spare, but don't have the fitting. If I can't get another one tomorrow, I guarantee we'll get 6":nod:
  15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Yeah no kidding. We have got our worst snowstorms in late march here. We have plenty of time fellas. Actually I've already grossed more this year from plowing than I did all of last winter for plowing. Those small snows in December were great.
  16. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

ya theres no saying wats going to happen, i mean up here on the north shore of mass, it was 60 yesterday, and know its -15...wow....you never know wats going to happen, and theres no saying and predicting,,,you can get 6 storms in 2 weeks....it happened last season, that would be like $12,000 for me in 2 weeks, then i wouldnt be crying to everyone that "this winter sucks"its not over till mid april.....so everyone chill out , and relax....any-way i like it when it warms up makes the ocean-temp nice and warm and ready for those striped bass to make their way up here haha!later
  17. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

well so far for january, i guess you can say its kinda right, i guess. but the weather says it gonna be warm for the rest of jan, and i guess todays storm(15th) was supposed to be the "heavy snow"

January 2006
    Avg. Temperature: 26° (7° below avg.)
    Precipitation: 4" (0.5" above avg.)
    Jan. 1-8: Sunny, seasonable
    Jan. 9-12: Seasonable; snow north, rain south
    Jan. 13-20: Heavy snow, bitter cold
    Jan. 21-25: Sunny, very cold
    Jan. 26-31: Heavy snow, cold

February 2006
    Avg. Temperature: 40° (7° above avg.)
    Precipitation: 4" (0.5" below avg. north; 2" above south)
    Feb. 1-6: Rain and snow, seasonable
    Feb. 7-11: Mild, showers
    Feb. 12-16: Rain, then sunny
    Feb. 17-21: Warm, rain
    Feb. 22-24: Showers
    Feb. 25-28: Sunny, warm
  18. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

The lack of snow is probably my fault...

I bought this truck last fall, gambling on having heavier than normal snow amounts, and was hoping to at least make my money back, maybe even get into the black...

But I should have known my luck, karma, whatever.
    Things like this never work out for me.

Oh, we'll get some more snow. I may even get close to breaking even, but that's about it...

Sorry guys... :(
  19. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

ya same here, just got a plow, of course
  20. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

long haul

Guys this always happens good years bad years. After a good season so much money is spent on new equipment and then no snow comes for part of the winter and everyone yells about how much they spent and no work. You have to be very carefull in what you invest in this line of work i have seen so many guys come and go its not the quick money every year so hang on and just give it some time......