1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2nd gen or 3rd gen

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by snowman79, Apr 9, 2009.

1. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

Which one would you go with..found a couple 2nd gens i like and third gens i like also...which would you go with which have you had experience with...will towing trailers, and maybe plowing eventually.

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

3rd Gen for resale and 48RE tranny.

3. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

i think that all dodge cummins hold very good resale no matter what gen. 1st Gens with a ton of miles are still going for 6-10k depending on the condition of the rest of the truck. Plus i dont really care about Resale i will probably drive it till it falls apart around me...

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

You never stated Cummins in first post. But the 98.5-02 have the VP44 and are know to blow around 100k.

5. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

yea, i know that and i would be upgrading the fuel pump and if he injection pump is bad to that will be upgraded also....so i am not that worried about those...

6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

the reasons why the vp's die is no fuel pressure. theres an electric lift pump under the fuel filter that dies and the injection pump keeps pumping fuel and eventually gets overworked and dies. i have had both 2nd and 3rd gens and i like my 3rd gen better than my old 2nd gen, not that it was a bad truck its just the 3rd gens handle and drive better in my opinion. i wouldn't hesitate buy either style its trying to find one well maintained, thats the key

7. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

3rd gen i would get

but a taken care of 2nd gen are still great trucks

8. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

towing 3rd gen trucks.... I towed with both a 3500 std cab long bed and 2500 quad cab short bed till you hit about 7000 lbs you can't even tell the trailer is back there....

Plowing 1st gen it was before they got rid of the Dana 60 leaf spring fronts....

9. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would say 3rd generation... I own both a 2001 and a 2003 the 2003 is hands down a better truck, with more power, towing ability etc...