1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2nd Battery

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Citrausa, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

I want to install a 2nd battery. Any suggestions on cables and connectors?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

On what? C'mon man don't be so vague

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

On this riding lawnmower.

4. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

I ran my dual batteries, pos to pos both grounds to the frame. I have seen pos to pos also neg to neg

5. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

Good point (crap). I have a 1995 K1500 305 motor. Would like to add an additional battery to reduce the dimming problem.

Do I need to add a VSR or whatever it's called to help reduce any problems?

6. dieselss

Vsr?
    You should be able to buy the second battery tray at the dealership (maybe, try a diesel) or junkyard. And get some 2 gauge wire and some eyelet rings, solder and heat shrink them on and good to go

7. dieselss

Edit.......

8. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

if you do it look into using military style clamps, that way you just use tangs on the wire ends, makes things so much easier to clean up and reliable as time goes on, you will never change a cable end again

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

use 2 batteries of the same age

10. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

Thank you! VSR, Voltage sensitive regulator.

I've located a battery tray from a salvage yard for $10. I appreciate the other info, wouldn't have thought of 2 gauge wire (thought something like 4). I will gather the parts and see how it goes! :mechanic:

11. dieselss

No. No vsr needed.
    Don't forget the batt try bolts as well. And the hold down clamp and bolt as well

12. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

Ha, glad you mentioned it. I would have forgotten it. So basically I'm wiring 2nd battery .....positive to positive of 1st battery, negative to a ground and done?

13. dieselss

Sounds right. Try the a/c bracket, intake manifold, or the block.

14. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

You tube has some great videos - still have to sort through the crap - they call it the "Big Three," but it'll show you all the connections and the order. Gets into the vsr too - needing it or not. Gauges of wire - start with 2 new batteries...all good info - but again, you need to sort through it. Semper Fi

15. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

New batteries on on my list of things to purchase. Thank you for the info! Semper fi

16. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

You too Brother...86-07

17. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

No VSR(?) needed or should be used. Also consider replacing the alternator with a high output version or a at least a smaller pulley on the one you have. Also as others have said, do the big three. Always overdo it with grounds. Most people under do the grounds, including factory OEM. Think about running crank/deep cycle combo batteries. Always run batteries in matched pairs - buy them at the same time. If the batteries don't match, one can cook over with acid. You can also run the lights off a relay. Most of the time the power for the lights run from the batteries, to the fuse box, to the switch, then out to the lights. Way to long. A relay can shorten that path and give brighter lights with no dimming by running the power from the battery directly to the lights.

18. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Anywhere I can reference this visually - YouTube - pics from your truck? talking about the relay to the lights...my lights are dim and yes, I need to up the alt etc, but would like to look at that if you can help out - thanks...Thumbs Up

19. dieselss

There's kits for that, or you could wire it in yourself. Lmctruck . Com offers them

20. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I did a dual battery install post on here somewhere. I made it look as factory as I could.
    See link in my sig.
    T.J.