1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2lbs per 100 square feet?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kwise, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

One of my gas station accounts requires a minimum of 2 lbs per 100 square feet of rock salt to be spread per application. This seems overkill. How much do you all usually spread? Last year I was spreading slightly less than half that and it seemed sufficient.

2. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

well put down what you feel will be effective and if it's less then what they are requesting how are they going to know anyways then bill them for it :laughing: doesnt seem like a problem to me.

3. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

My exact thoughts. Never has a problem last year. The lot is about an acre and I usually spread 400 lbs. Just curious of whats others do. They probably read the instructions on a bag and thought that sounds good. Obviously there are many factors.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

400 sounds light to me. They are probably just trying to get their moneys worth and to insure safety.. If that is what they want just give it to them.

5. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

871 pounds as a minimum? That is a little high, I would say I thats about the most I would normally put down. But most gas stations are not that large of an area, so bid it the way they want it. $$$$$ I have a gas station that I have salted frost, thats what they wanted.

6. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

We use any where from 375lbs (treated) per acre to 500lbs (non treated) and acre. We just sat down with a guy from road solutions her in indy and they are saying that with treated salt we can use 250lbs per acre and have great results. He said that there was a town in northern indiana or southern michigan that used 100lbs per lane mile of treated salt and it worked great. Heard to believe that 150lbs and acre will work when you are used to applying 500lbs and acre.

7. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I would think you need to take in future weather conditions, time of day and a whole host of other scenarios. That might work in one storm but not the next.