1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

28V plow sub frame part # wrong

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by tunaman552, Dec 16, 2007.

1. tunaman552

tunaman552 Junior Member

I recently purchased a new 2008 ford f350 dieselpayup . I had a Ford F-350 2000 w/ a series 28V Plow by Sno Way. We removed the old subframe hopefully to utilize it on the new vehicle.Since the old sub frame was told to me that it would not fit the new vehicle my local dealer ordered the part they were told that was the correct replacement for the sub frame and the center part of the push plates. Unfortunately the dist. and the manufacturer part numbers are incorrect. The center part of the subframe does not fit the older Vplows.The dealer Bay State in Fall River ,Ma was excellent at handling this issue and I give big kudos to them.Luckily I saved the old subframe and we used the old center piece with the new frame mount pieces.Sno Way and the Dist. need to get these numbers and parts right so the next customer does not get the wrong parts. Now we need to figure what I am do with the new center mount piece I can not use. Hopefully the Dist. will take it back at no charge.
    Sno-Way does make a great V plow with the down pressure. I just hope they get their heads out of their butts and stand behind the dealers a bit better the first time out of the gate. As we know in the snow business, that time in the snow is precious money from heaven and it melts as fast as it can come down.In any business customer service and return/repeat customers is where the money is . :sleeping:So WAKE UP SNO-WAY.:sleeping:

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There gave you the right mount,there is no factory three pin mount for your truck. The factory wants your dealer to use a conversion kit to modify your plow to the new (2004) style mounting system.

If your Snoway is an 2000 then it has the older three pin mounting system not the 4 pin system released in 2004. While it's possible to use the center member from the 99100396mount in the new mount the factory doen't support the application. The shim plates require using longer then normal bolts and there have been hardware issues under extreme use. The center member of the three pin style on your truck may protrude to far to met regulations in some states ( http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=53457 .)

Your dealer needs to get HIS HEAD out of HIS BUTT and stay current on the products he sells. this is not a new situation, there have been TSBs and service schools covering the mount system change. This all changed in 2004 so it's not a new issue.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Basher is correct. But to convert your older plow to the new style hook-up will run you about $1500. Way too damn much money IMO.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That's a misleading comment. While the total bill might reach $1,500 that includes the subframe, center member, and labor, the conversion kit is $500.

5. tunaman552

tunaman552 Junior Member

The dealer was relying on the info from the dist.Even on the website there was no mention of the major change.If there was such a major change then why was the dist. or sno way not coming forward with it.Seems like the right hand does not know what the left is doing.All I can tell ya is that the dealer has been great at handling the problem so far.

6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Being that Bay State is a brand new Sno-Way retailer they most likely weren't aware of a situation like yours until you contacted them. I am glad to hear that Glenn and his crew got you squared away.

We at Sno-Way appreciate your business.

Happy Holidays,

7. tunaman552

tunaman552 Junior Member

Do i need the conversion kit or should i still run the older middle type mount?

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Since your dealer got you operating as is why change. There is nothing wrong with the older system. You will have to make the change eventually but for now run what you have.

I wonder how you can blame the factory for your dealer's ignorance. The major changes happened long enough ago it's no longer news. It seems like they (the dealer) took good care of you so that's major points in their favor. But they (the dealer) are at ground zero, They are responsible for correctly identifying the plow and required parts. Your dealer needs to check serial numbers before specifying parts.

9. tunaman552

tunaman552 Junior Member

The dealer did correctly check my part numbers and asked for help. Sno- way and the dist. sent the parts they supposedly needed. With being a new dealer and asking for support I would think the support should come from the manufacturer one way or another.The sole responsibility should not rest on just the dealer. The dealer askes questions, gets the part numbers and installs. The manufacturer should have the correct info for them to work efficiently. As`in my case they had to fly by the seat of thier pants just get the job done. Luckily I saved my old cross member and did not have to spend any extra money for the subframe or this conversion kit.

Do you have a link for the correct conversion kit for my v plow.
    I have a 28d serial number with a 2008 ford f-350.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

These are the owner's manuals

OK now in an earlier post you said you have a 28V if so then here's the link
    http://www.snoway.com/service/Owner Manuals/97100969b.pdf

But you don't need a conversion kit for a 28V

But if you have a 28D then this is the link
    http://www.snoway.com/service/Owner Manuals/97100438c.pdf

If you in fact have a 28D or an HTV then you need this kit http://www.snoway.com/service/Service Kits/97101059c.pdf

Correct serial numbers are very important if you told the factory you had a 28V, they'd say you don't need a conversion kit

11. tunaman552

tunaman552 Junior Member

As stated in my first thread i have a 28v plow. My serial number is a 28d100...... All this info was given to the dist. and they missed the conversion kit i needed for the new push plates.Looks like the new conversion kit isn't really much to install. Is there any advantage or does the plow work more efficiently with the conversion kit installed?

12. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

The conversion kits were designed to allow customers the ability to keep their plow and move to a different vehicle when our new mounting system was introduced. We looked at it and decided that just because we were making a design change our customer should not have to sell their plow because we were no longer going to support that mounting system. From a manufacturing standpoint it does not make sense to produce multiple mounting systems when a product such as the 28V was phased out. Mission accomplished.

If you were to go this route it would upgrade you to the new mounting system and also the linkage system that is on our current designs.

I would agree with Basher that if you are up and running you will be just fine.

13. tunaman552

tunaman552 Junior Member

I totally understand. Just wish all this was told to the dealer when we gave all the specs on the switch to the new vehicle.

Thanks,
    Todd

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you're up and running, forget the conversion kit. When you buy your next truck consider a new plow as well. Then you get all the goodies, SMO-1 hydraulics, wireless, new hook up system and any new design features that are included. They update things all the time.