1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

28V.. doesnt move, motor just hums??

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Snake, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Snake

Snake Junior Member
    from iowa

I have a customer that picked up a power/ground cable "plow side" for his 28v plow the other day, and called tonight close to closing time. He said he put it on, lifted the plow, tested it, worked fine.. took it home, went back out a while later and tried to lift it, and nothing.. motor just hums. Said that he is getting power on both sides of the solenoid and even tried arcing power over and still nothing. To me it sounds like a motor problem, but im still fairly new in the snow plow business. No one was around at sno way at the time, anyone have any idea on what this could be? Thanks for any help!

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check the power and ground. Make sure they are properly hooked up to the BATTERY. If it worked fine before I guess they don't have an good ground.

3. Snake

Snake Junior Member
    from iowa

Yea thats what i had him check out first, Im pretty sure that sno way told us this past fall at the class that there may had been a few power cords made up wrong, so i had him check and make sure ground was ground, power was power at the plug. Nothing was changed on the truck side, just the plow side. And after he changed the unit out, it worked fine for that short period of time, then just quit when he came back out. Now that i think about it, when he first came to our shop about 2 months ago, "his nearest sno way dealer closed up" he needed some parts, and a new fuse, the main one on the power wire. I believe he's since popped it a second time since. Im wondering if the motor has been acting up, drawing too much current, and finally took a $#*^. Possible??

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Where is the ground on the plow? is it to the Endhead on the pump? How many amps is the motor drawing?
    Check the motor to see if it spins freely when not attached to the pump.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Make sure it has a GOOD battery. Mine would run the plow but after some use the plow wouldnt work as well. Replaced the battery and everything was fine.