1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

285's w/ chains on an 02 2500?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ericruhl, Sep 14, 2009.

1. ericruhl

ericruhl Junior Member
    from CO

I have an 02 2500 w/cummins (ETH/DEE) and I need to downsize my tires so I can fit a set of chains. I've been running a set of H2 take-offs (315/70/17) on the stock suspension with only slight rubbing when hitting a bump at full steering lock. I also still have the 16" alloy stock wheels. I'm considering running 285's but I'm not sure if that'll give me enough room for chains? Either 285/75/16 or 285/70/17, I'm not partial to either wheel but the 16" wheel has a little more offset so I think that'd be the better choice (and the tires are a little less expensive). Will this tire size work with chains or do I need to go even smaller?

Those running chains on a 2nd gen Dodge, what size tire are you running?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Usually run chains on the back only.

3. ericruhl

ericruhl Junior Member
    from CO

That'll work for most of our snowfalls, but the last storm of the season was 4' of the wet and heavy stuff. As soon as you drove on it you packed it slick as ice and my truck was helpless. The blade would catch and I'd instantly ride the plow right into the ditch... stuck again. The only neighbor that could help me open my driveway had chains on all four so I need to be able to do the same for the next big storm. For a couple years anyway until I can afford a tractor for the big ones :)

So to clarify my question, for those running chains on all four tires, what size tire are you running?

4. ericruhl

ericruhl Junior Member
    from CO

Nobody runs chains on all four?? Seriously?

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I've never seen chains on the front of an IFS truck. Put some weight (like a ton), and you won't need chains up front. A skinnier tire is an option, and most people like them better in the snow. 255/85 is ideal. BFG and Cooper both make one. The Cooper looks better for snow, but not much. Interco make the Trexus sp. in that size. The local Interco dealer said he would give me every penny back if they weren't the best snow tires I ever used. Even with those, you still might be restricted to cables up front.

6. ericruhl

ericruhl Junior Member
    from CO

IFS? I have a Dodge, not a Chevy. D60 front D80 rear, 6spd Cummins.

That's a 33" tire, just a little bigger and an little narrower than the 285/75's. Let me try asking the question this way.... how much clearance is needed for chains? 1", 1.5", 2"?

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

LOL. After I posted I saw you were in the Dodge forum. My bad.

I would be shooting for two inches to be safe. An inch is probably enough, but........
    Sometimes they loosen up and come away from the tire a bit. And don't forget to figure with the front springs compressed. I know you're not going to be rockcrawling with the plow on in a blizzard, but if you go off the side you could take all the weight off one front tire.

For chains you want the welded V-bar or better.

8. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

^ what's better than welded v-bars?

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Good question LOL.

Maybe Canadian skidder chains with those huge teeth that stick out an inch? Those would be fun on the hot top....

10. ericruhl

ericruhl Junior Member
    from CO

Quick followup, ended up going back to the stock 16" alloys and the stock 265/75 tire size. Now I need a set of chains and I'm gtg. Thanks for all the feedback.