1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

285/75/r16 from 265

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by advancelawncare, Sep 1, 2010.

1. advancelawncare

advancelawncare Junior Member

I have a 2005 GMC 2500 HD and am getting new tires on it, I have 265/75/r16 right now and the stock size is a 245. I was thinking of going up to a 285, can anybody tell me if that is a good or bad idea, or at least some input on it????

2. XxChevy-HDxX

XxChevy-HDxX Senior Member
    from Mass

A question about the 265's...... Were there any rubbing issues after the stock 245's??? Because im getting 265 Goodyear Duratrac next month.

3. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

I have 285/70/16 on my 05. My speedo was off like 3 mph but my tune fixed that lol I have leveling kit on the front of mine tho too No rubs on mine. Some people say that bigger tires put more stress on the tie rod ends but who likes looking at little tires with big open wheel wells

4. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I Have a 97 sierra and mine are stock 245 too, i had 265's and then went up to 285's, the 285 wore kind of hard on my front end i practically replaced everything except the axle. It could have been because mine is older too, but idk if its a good idea or not, yes you have a wider footprint for plowing but those tires and then the weight of the plow, ehhhh idk,i will tell you this much i came back down to 265's after all the money i put in my front end!!

5. TheBossMan2000

TheBossMan2000 Junior Member

Ive got 285/75/r16 on mine and no problems what so ever. about1.5 mile/hr off on speedo. no lift on the truck and my dad has run the same on his 96 half ton with no problems except he just had the front end worked on just a few months ago. he's had it since 98 and first time he's done anything to the front end.

6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Uh......wider footprint hinders plowing.

7. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

same here, i had mine done last season

8. advancelawncare

No rubbing at all and I was told there would be no rubbing with a 285 either!!

9. advancelawncare

Do all you guys that said you have the 285's also plow snow with those tires on the truck?

10. XxChevy-HDxX

XxChevy-HDxX Senior Member
    from Mass

Sweet! thanks:)

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

As long as they look cool, that's OK......

12. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

No I dont plow with my 05 yet lol

13. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

If you put 285/75R16 on your factory wheels, you will have rubbing along the bottom 6 inches or so of the rear of the front bumper. They will also rub on the splash guard in front of, and behind, each tire. Most guys cut the bumper and guard and it looks just fine. I would rather have total clearance with the tires than rub a little.

14. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

265/75/16 fits fine, absolutely no rubbing problems. Its the most popular replaceemnt tire size and I beleive the newer trucks come with that as stock. My 2000 had them on there when I bought it used and I jsut replaced a cheap set of 245/75/16 with a new set of 265/75/16. Looks better, you get a bit more meat under the truck and it doesn't significantly alter your speedo readings (3.7% slower).

The 285's might rub slightly if your suspension is stock, particularly when you carry a plow in the air and turn your steering full lock in one dorection or the other. Turn up your torsion bars 4-6 turns and get an alignment and you should be good though. I would recommend 285/65/16 though, to keep your speedo accurate and your ride height unchanged.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  15. TheBossMan2000

TheBossMan2000 Junior Member

Yep. They seem to do just fine:nod:

16. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Why does GM put those dinky 245's on 3/4 tons but the 1/2 tons can come with 265's? Anyone know the answer?

17. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I have 285 75 16 on my 04 with NO RUBBING. all stock . The only time I got rubbing was when I recently moved a 9ft plow and turned my wheels. I need to reprogam my speedo again though.

18. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Im one of the few that like wider tires for plowing. :waving:
    Best tires I have plowed with where my 315 75 16 on my old truck.

19. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

They should do alright as long as you dont plow. The 285's you'll find might rub when your turning and stress the front suspension, like going over a bump or pothole. The plow will stress the front suspension enough so that they could be a problem with rubbing at full turn. Yes larger tires do put additional strain on front end parts, but so do the plows we all run. Front end parts will always wear out regardless, just maybe a little faster. Replace all steering and front end parts with lifetime parts, i.e. moog, when the time comes. make sure to keep them greased as well if they have fittings.

20. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Oh ya, almost forgot. Usually the wider the tire, the less traction in snow. For years I used to put 235/85R16's for plowing. They were tall and skinny, worked great.