1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

28 years ago today

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by lakeeffect, Jan 28, 2005.

1. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

You New Yorkers will remember what began Jan, 28, 1977 Buffalo was not the only area hard hit by the storm. East of Lake Ontario, Watertown received over 5 feet of lake effect snow off a still unfrozen Lake Ontario. The strong winds piled the snow into gigantic drifts. A huge rotary plow operates in the background. According to reports, drifts in Jefferson county were "only" 18 feet high. (2/3/77 Watertown daily Times)

Blizzard of 77.jpg
  2. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

only 18 feet high huh
  3. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

They were right on that , I can remember walking on top of snowbanks and the powerlines were waist level. Quite a few cars got eaten by those rotary plows and many cars were crushed under snowbanks by Army tracked personnel carriers delivering supplies. It shut this county down for a week. Five feet of snow in a week is nothing unusual here but the 50-60 mph winds were the killer.
  4. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Any power?
  5. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Yes we had power, there were outages though. Would take a blizzard like that over an icestorm like 1991 and 1998 was without power 28 days in 98
  6. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

The quote in my first post after the first sentence was from the paper, couldnt figure how to get it under the pic.
  7. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Got to love to NY blizzards... :bluebounc :dizzy:
  8. norrod

norrod Senior Member

I remember that one ! I grew up in Southwest NY and was a junior in highschool. I was also working as a mechanic for an excavating company and we plowed snow like crazy. I missed a straight 2 weeks of school making $10/hour plowing , not my equipment. After the snow stopped, we hauled all our pickups, dump trucks, dozers, backhoes, and front loader to Buffalo as the city hired many contractor to haul to snow out and dump it into the Niagara river. Biggest snow removal effort I was ever involved in.

I loved every minute of it. I would call home once in a while to let mom know I was still alive.
  9. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

To young

That blizzard was a year before I was born. My parents said they had to climb out of the second floor window to get out of the house. Also they said snowmobilers were making a mint picking people up and getting any available food for people. I'll see if I can get some of their picks and post them. It'd be nice to get something like that today.......slow things down for a few days.
    There was even a board game called Blizzard of '77

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  10. Budz

Budz Junior Member

You don't think your parents being snowed in had anything to do with your birth do ya? :)
  11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I can bet money that it was.
  12. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Good one--042500 was probably born late Oct .Early Nov. of 77 if thats true.--Just read it now and that was my thought. Next post had it!!!:p
  13. greenpastureslc

greenpastureslc Junior Member

I remember that blizzard. I was living in Georgia at the time. It was the only significant snowfall I remember growing up in Atlanta.
  14. Pat M

Pat M Member

I was 8 years old during that storm and it was the best thing ever. Wish we would get another one like that. Nothing like having the state shut down for 2 weeks and no one is allowed on the streets with their cars.