1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

277 Cat with Tracks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 08F3506.4L, Jan 17, 2008.

1. 08F3506.4L

08F3506.4L Member

I have found a good deal on a newer 277 Cat with tracks. I have never used one before, I have heard they do OK with a 10' box but have no proof. What do you guys think? By the way I love the site and look foward to hearing your thoughts!

2. jeff45

jeff45 Junior Member

i dont have experience with that particular machine, but from what ive read track machines arent as good in the snow because they float on top of it rather that dig to the pavement. i also think i read that most people recomend a 8' box for them.
  3. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Like Jeff said I think you would be better off with an 8 footer. The 10 would be fine in lighter storms. The mall I plow at runs a 277 and 287 with 8's.
  4. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I would say a track machine would work just fine, but a 10 footer may be pushing the limit, also for the summer months a track machine will cause much less damage on turf then a skidsteer
  5. jkrak

jkrak Junior Member
    from midwest

Trax are a no-go! What you need is less tread area on the concrete which gives you more ground pressure. Tall and thin tires with an aggressive tread is the only way to go. It is a custom fit for the skidsteers, new rims, tires etc.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  6. RipT

RipT Senior Member

The CAT/ASV machines are generaly better on snow than other track machines, but the opperative word is "snow"....they are poor on ice or any serious slopes/hills. Narrow, aggressive (even studded)snow tires are then best so long as high-centering is not an issue. Chained-up regular SS tires work pretty well also.
  7. 08F3506.4L

08F3506.4L Member

Thanks for all the information. Now I have to decide if its worth it. We have trucks with 9'2"s. How much faster if any is a skid steer is the question.
  8. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

been thinking that awhile myself...
  9. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

the 277 is a good machine, is it a "A or B" series? IMO the "A" were the best of the bunch and we have had several and now we have a "C"

we use 246's because you can get them in 2spd and we use 7-8' angle blades and sometimes they get "overwhelmed" with that so the 10 footer may be a little much....but if it comes with the machine they have aparently used it with it before and it may work just fine?

YOU HAVE TOO WATCH THIS YOUTUBE VID(if anyone know's how to post a vid. be my guest)

this is with a rc-50 so that would be like a cat 247.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JjYT8lQN6YU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JjYT8lQN6YU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

this is with a machine more comparable to the 277

some one please post these vid's

EDIT: i think i got it..thanks snofarmer
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The heaver machine
    combined with slow track speed will win every time.
  11. powerjoke

i didn't even see this q' earlier sorry.

it is totally dependant upon application.

if you have some smaller comm.s and resi's the SS will be sooooo much faster.

if you have large comm's you'll be unhappy with it

we take care of a wal-mart and the Skid steer's only "curb" and clean up but they are a very vital tool

we use a toolcat on the sidewalks which is also really neet but we don't put it in the lot.....although we should since we charge by the hour LOL
  12. powerjoke

the rc-50 is only a 50hp and is 3000lb less than the t-250 :dizzy:

i don't know why it is out pushing the bigger machine?
  13. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Heavier slower track speeds wins every time?

I have an ASV RC 50 just like in the video above. It weighs in at 5500 lbs. A T250 weighs in at something like 8500 lbs. So which is heavier?

I can tell you for a fact that my machine WILL push an 8 ft pusher with no problems.
    That being said, I do spin out on Icy inclines. But who doesn't?

I have said it many times on this site that its all in the tracks. If you have an open style track (Like bobcat or takuchi) They wont get as much traction and will just spin out.

A closed or tight type track (ASV/Cat) Will give you more traction. It shows it in the above video.

I will agree that a narrow tired skid loader will out push most other machines. But as for a track machine in the snow you just can't beat an ASV/Cat.

Its funny how these guys are saying that the track machines float over the snow.. I don't see how when you are scraping with a tool in front of the machine. The floating is when you are backing up. lol

So I say go for it. Buy the 277. You will not be dissapointed.

14. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

My skid loader stays in a neighborhood where I have 5 condo associations and 2 commercial accounts.

Condo Associations are all long buildings with garages under the decks where we have to do lots of back draging, The commercials are pretty open with a small amount of back dragging

I Use an 8 ft pusher with a pull back blade on it.

We did 4 of these accounts last year with 2 trucks. It took 2 to 4 hours Depending on the snow, or cars in these lots.

So heres the difference. I can do all 7 accounts in 3 to 5 hours with 1 machine Vs, 2 trucks 4 accounts 2 to 4 hours.

So I think in this situation you can't beat a skid loader.

15. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I have heard from a couple of my buddys that run track loaders in the winter: The bobcat and takeuchi and deere tracks are too narrow with lugs that are too big and hard to be efffective on the snow. As with the cat asv style they go alot better. Maybe being wider so more track is on the pavement. One of my buddys tried a 8 ft box on a takeucki and it wouldnt push much at all. Watching that video makes total sense.
  16. 08F3506.4L

08F3506.4L Member

thanks for all the help! Now I will have to decide if its worth it. I do not have any condo's, all my accounts are commerical retail stores and banks. Thanks for all your help.

Lake Effect Snowplowing LLC
    Stuart Postema
  17. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I own a CAT 257B, and it works great except for solid ice, but even rubber tires and chains struggle on ice...

Today, I was cleaning up a prospective account that hasn't seen a plow all year. I was scraping up 2-4 inches of ice and packed snow. Stuff that you can't even touch with a truck w/ plow... I had to use my reg bucket, but I had no problems.

The CAT/ASV tracks are the best, hands down...

You won't be dissappointed...

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

Last year I had to rent to Cats...a 277B and a 287B for two events that left us over 15" of snow each time... Same HP just that the 287B is a little bit heaver,, these machines will go up. over and through any thing white or frozen.. the only problem is that they are single speed machines... I was so impressed that we got a new 287B at a cost of 50k installed a Blizzard 8611 in it for this year...

the track pattern on the Cat/ASV are unlike any one else's and will hands down out push any other skid-steer. tracks or wheels.
  19. A Man

A Man Senior Member

That's a pretty bold statement, I'm running an S250 with the same plow, I'm pretty happy with the traction after the new tires, but I would love to see some pics of even video of the cat pushing a full blade right threw the middle of a nice sized windrow. I ran a cat track loader on some hard pack ice a year ago and I wasn't impressed at all, but I would love to see it in action!
  20. 08F3506.4L

08F3506.4L Member

Well I did some calling around and an old boss has a few of the 277's and he is willing to rent for $50.00 per hour. What do you guys think about that? Is it a fair price?

Lake Effect Snowplowing