1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

265 tires on a 2005 GMC 2000HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Yaz, May 11, 2005.

1. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

:help: I have 3 month old BFG T/A’s 285-75-16 from my old 99 1500 GMC truck. I really wanted to put them on my new 2005 GMC 2500 but found out I would have to cut the front painted lower bumper. I really don’t want to cut it. :cry: I was thinking of just selling them and getting 265’s like what I believe comes on the 3500HD payup . Has anyone put the 265 with no rubbing at all on this truck?

The already know that the older GMC’s and Chevy’s will fit.

Also I can already tell you guys are going to say just cut it and put on the 285’s but I really don’t want to do that.

Thanks

2. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

I don't think you absolutely have to cut on the front end. Just go on Ebay and buy a set of torsion bar keys that are indexed differently. That will raise the front end up enough that you should not have to cut. :)

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You dont need the indexed keys. That is another post though. I have 265's and they fit great. 285's are about the biggest you can go. there are some guys running them with just a crank and no rubbing, some have to trim the plastic air dam a bit, its boarder line.

4. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I just put 285's on my HD Saturday. Turned the torsion bars up a little bit. No cutting what so ever, which made me happy, because, like you I didn't want to have to trim it.

William

5. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

pics?
    and how do you turn up thr bars :confused:

6. ratlover

from IL

I considered 285's but was concerend about how I would be with a blade up front with em. I think I would be fine with them and a 1.5 crank or so with no blade but with a blade???

Do a search for a post by me......it was in this forum awhile ago. Ratlovers t bar adjusting procedure or something like that. Or there are a ton of other posts about it......

7. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Check out here for alot of pics http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/mygallery.ten?id=7081 and here is a link that describes how to adjust the torsion bars. If you are concerned about doing it right, I would suggest having the alignment shop do it, because you will need an alignment after you adjust them as well as the speedometer.

William

8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

CTFAN
    Unfortunatly the GMC is very different than the Chevy. The Chevy has a airdam that is black plastic and can be cut or removed if needed. The new GMC whole bottom of the bumber is painted and molded into the air dam, replacing this would be pricy. Your truck looks good buy the way.
    I looked at Rappa's truck and he cut the bottom edge to fit them, he did a nice job and you can't tell this is in not factory but I just feel funny doing this. two weeks old and 46 grand and I'm breaking out a saw... NOT! Also I cranked up the front bars 4 and 4.5 turns to get it somewhat level I did want to go to far and have to change the shocks. I was told that 4 or 5 turns wouldn't mess up the alignment. So far so good. So it looks like know one out there has a 2004-05 GMC with a 265 upgrade?

9. ratlover

from IL

Cruise over to the www.dieselplace.com Alot of guys running the 2500HD's

Moving the bumper forward is another option. I believe the clerance is the same. I have plenty of room on my 03 chevy. Talk to the diesel place guys though. I've seen pics of the GMC's with the bigger meats.....

10. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I agree with Ratlover, check out dieselplace. One of the members moved his bumper out to clear the bigger tires. He has a good thread on there with pics on how to do this. I guess I didn't realize there was that much of a difference in the front between the 2 brands.

William

11. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

So it looks like know one out there has a 2004-05 GMC with a 265 upgrade?[/QUOTE]

265 works fine. The 3500 SRW comes with 265s and it is the same front end as the 2500HD. I thought the issue was 285?

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

265's will fit fine with no adjustment necessary, with ANY offset rim.

285's will fit with maybe a rub here and there at full lock and compression with stock rims. It's when you get into different offset rims that the 285's get hairy.

I'm thinking about a set of 285's or 255's for the summer and keeping my 265 Discoverer's just for winter.

13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Thanks Guys. The guy that moved his bumper did a good job. I liked the idea, However I don't like the fact only 4 out of 6 bolts are back in. Thank god my brother is a machinist, It comes in handy when you can get something of the shelf. I'll have to do some figuring and drawings If I go with 285's.I'l see exactly what this will entail. If I didn't have 285's already I would get the 265's right now based on it's just easyer. I just might sell the 285's BFG's to someone with a Chevy. I paid 800 installed and the have about 4-5K on them and very little wear. Any Idea what they are worth?

14. ratlover

from IL

Trust me when I say I wouldnt have any worries about my bumper being held on by 2 1/4" bolts. They stamp them outa tin foil, it will squash well before you strees any bolts

15. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

O I know, I rearend somone before and found they bend like a old beer can LOL I was just thinking it would rattle with my luck or move down little bit and the bottom would move into the tire and hit anyway. I can't be the only one that sh1t happens to? :redbounce