1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2600 spaces What would you charge?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Ne1, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I have the opportunity to bid a property that is 26 acres and has roughly 2600 parking spaces. What would you charge per push? This is for plowing only. Most of our storms are in the 1"-3" range and we average 12 pushes per year.

2. capital

capital Senior Member

can u provide a google overhead and tell us what equipment you have?

3. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I tried google earth but its not on the site, to new I guess. I would be using 2 John Deere 544's with 14' pusher boxes, skid loader for the smaller areas and a couple of pickups with V-plows.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

$780,000.00 plus salt.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think we proved from the Lowe's thread that pricing is too hard to come up with if you are not from the area. I bet you get #'s from $1500 to $10,000.

6. capital

capital Senior Member

I based my numbers as flws:

Pushers $150 an hour
    Skid loader $95.00 an hour
    Trucks $85.00 an hour

I added a couple extra hours to tally and came in around $7900 per event-this does not include sidewalk crews or ice melt-if this is a mall are any of the pushes into piles and then moving them via truck to other areas for storage or off site dump then you need to figure those out-wish you the best.

7. CSP#1

CSP#1 Member

What is the largest lot you have taken care of previously?

I don't share pricing. I would however be interested to know how long you think it will take to do the site with the equipment you listed above. Can you tell me how long at 2", 4", 6", 8", 10" .......... How long would it take if the snow was dry, wet, really heavy?

I would also like you to think about how long it would it take you to get spare trucks or loaders to the site if you got started late or if you experienced a breakdown of equipment or personnel?

Do you know how much you would like/need to get per hour for each piece of equipment?

If your typical snowfall is 1""-3" as you stated, and you figure your equipment to operate for say 8 hours (which is a long time because it still needs to be salted), you should be able to do some quick math and come up with a number to submit.

This part is easy but nobody on Plowsite can tell you, or should be telling you, the prices you need to get for your equipment. It varies too much. You are probably asking how you know what you need to get per hour? In a nutshell, know your annual costs (there is lots to include) per piece of equipment and divide the number of hours you project to use your equipment into the annual cost for the winter season and come up with an hourly rate to cover your costs. Now figure in the profit you would like to make and BAM, you have your hourly rate that you can plug into the formula.

That is not the end of it. Your costs and profit margin will likely be different than your competition. You will have to learn "OVER TIME" where the price point is to get the market share you want. Unless you are a great salesman, in today's economy the lowest price wins. Sharpen your pencil and be humble with your expected profit margins and you should get your share of work. Keep in mind that if you got all of the work you bid on - YOUR PRICE IS TOO LOW.

8. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

We get $175 an hour for our wheel loaders and the other prices you stated are right one with what we get here. I was figuring the two loaders could push the lot in 10 total hours (five each). There is no removal of the snow. The lots have ample places to push piles.

9. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Your exactly right. I read that post also and the prices are all over the board.

10. grandview

Something is not right here. So to plow this all season your going to charge about 12k for it,right? Or about 450.00 bucks an acre?

11. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

No, where did you come up with that? This bid is a flat rate per push.

12. grandview

Sorry,it was the others guys numbers I saw.