1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

26 series on late model f150

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by BKFC255, Aug 12, 2008.

1. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

I posted this in the ford forum and did not get many answers. i am getting a 26 series put on my 06 f150 and was wondering how many of you if any of you have problems with the truck after you had the plow installed? are your ball joints wearing out really quick, problems with tranny or t-case? just to let you know i am putting timbrens on the front and will be putting a scan gauge II on the truck for tranny temp
  2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Our 26 series is a great match for the F150. All trucks will see some wear and tear from plowing. Just remember that you are plowing with a 1/2 ton truck and everything should be fine for you.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Honestly I saw your post but don't have personal experience with your particular vehicle. I've installed them and the truck handled the plow well. I have don't have any personal long term experience with them.

Any plow will put extra loads on any truck. It's a matter of physics. The F-150 has the heaviest front axle of the 1/2 ton pick ups. The Snoway fit sheet allows a 29 series blade on that truck so a 26 should put a lot less wear and tear on the front end.

As I said I have no personal long term experience with your particular truck. regardless, there are ways you can help, first is don't abuse the front end yourself. Don't over turn, binding the unit against the locks, use 2 wheel drive for clean up and tight work where and whenever possible. Always run ballast to help level the load. Run stock rims and tires keeping them properly inflated. Running your down pressure will help, but has the downside of going though wearedges faster.

Same with the Drive train. You can cause more damage them the plow. Shifting before you come to a complete stop, Lead footing, pile slamming, curb jumping, Smokey burnouts, 180 snap turns and power slides all shorten the life of the vehicle.The extra weight of the plow can help accelerate the process but it's not the root cause.
  4. lilphil26

lilphil26 Junior Member

I just put a 26 series on a 2005 f150 and this is my first season with it. Havent used it yet. But it doesnt make the truck really sag at all. I have timbrens in the front which help Im sure. Hopefully we both have good luck with them!!!
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Plowing carefully is the key to long truck and plow life. Proper maintenence will do wonders too.
  6. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

F-150 & 26 series plow

Here are a coupla pics of my 08 F-150 w/26 series. Great plow and no problems even with the harsh winter we had last year. Just follow what Basher said about taking care of equipment and it will take care of you. The Jackster 2008 Cadillac & 2008 Ford 007.jpg

2008 Cadillac & 2008 Ford 006.jpg

2008 Cadillac & 2008 Ford 007.jpg

2008 Cadillac & 2008 Ford 006.jpg