1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

26 Series for a Dakota?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by rpdwyer, Oct 18, 2009.

1. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

Hello.
    I am looking at a 26 series 6'8" for an 03 Dakota. I know I would be better off with a 7'6", but they are hard to find used at my budget.

My question is how does the 26 series stack up against the MT and the ST? Is the 26 more of lighter duty plow like the ST or slightly heavier duty like the MT?
    Thanks.

2. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

26 is the comparable upgrade from the mt

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The 26 is 2" taller then the MT, has the same SMO-1 hydraulics and the revised mounting system wit EIS lighting. Yes 7'6" would be the better choice and the price should not be that much higher, you'd need to carry about 400lbs of ballast and I would suggest timbren type front suspension supports.

4. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

Or carry a tailgate salter and some salt bags out back ;)

5. firehall1

firehall1 Junior Member

i ran the 7'6 on my 04 dakota. man it worked great. a few turns on the t-bars and had noo problems. put a few landscape blocks in the back(6) and had no problem, until it got stollen

6. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

The 03 Dakota is fine. The 26 is better then my MT. You'll be fine with that setup.

Check to see if you have the Tow Package. It Inlcudes the 9.25" Rear, Trans Cooler, and Larger 265/70/16 Tires. If so (assuming you have 4wd) your trucks ready for Plowing.

1) When it comes time to replace tires, put 245/75/16 tires on. I chose the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Load E Tires because of the heavy duty sidewalls.

2) Crank Torsion Bars up.

3) Install Timbrens Front (might as well do the backs too.)

4) Use a Tailgate Salter or carry 400#s worth of salt out back closest to the tailgate. I use a Tailgate Salter thats about ~ 100#s, and I fill it up all the way. I then carry salt in my truck bed with a bed divider to keep all the salt towards the rear for that days duties.

My 7'6" is the perfect width, and the ST was way to small. But the MT/26 is perfect for this little truck. Just make sure you wash your truck our alot after plowing, or some parts star to rust quicker :)