1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

26,000 Gvw F-650

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ProSno, Apr 18, 2003.

1. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Anyone plowing with one here? Just wondered how you liked it or if you had any complaints. Thinking of getting one.

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Here's a thread that ran a while back about this on engine selection. Check with Jake or Geoff D about the truck.

I often wonder why one would choose the 650 over the 750 with 33,000 GVW. What is your reasoning? I always figure the bigger truck would be more productive, especially for hauling.

3. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Here in Ct. 26,000 GVW avoids getting a CDL license. The test is a real %$@#@(*&*^& and I really dont need heavier than this truck. For what I do my F-450 would do but I figure if I go heavier I wont be beating the truck up as much.

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Yea,

we have one at work. They are really decent trucks, the engine and trans combos are even better on the new 2004. 650s can be set up in two differenet ways in my opion:

1. Maintmance truck: low side body, would be speced much different than a haul truck.

2. Haul truck full hight body: bigger engine, trans, air breaks, ect.

Geoff

5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Question.If he is trying to avoid getting a CDL,are air brakes still an option?I know when i took my CDL test in NY it was part of the test.Just wondering

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

When I had to take the CDL test the someone asked if they needed to take the airbrake part of the test and the registry cop said if you don't you will not be able to drive air brake trucks.So why not take it if you have to take the rest of it.Not hard if you study the book.You can get a truck under the CDL but it can still have air brakes.

7. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have 2 F-650 dumps with 10' meyers plows and under tailgate spreaders.I have no complaints on ethier truck.They work great for what we use them for which is plowing streets.

8. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

The test can't be THAT bad. Now that I have a CDL I am glad that I do. And wonder why I didn't get one a lot sooner.

9. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The test isnt that bad,the problem is some testers are more picky than others so had i not read the book and walk into it with no mechanical knowledge,my particular tester would have had a field day with me,PITA,You would be suprised how many guys are runnin around out there with airbrakes and have no clue how to check slack adjusters:( ,some testers just fly you thru it.

10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I have had friends tell me they had the firday afternoon tester. They do the cones, pre trip, and skip the road test, the exaimers like wll you drove the thing here your all set.

Geoff

11. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

Yeah don't do that. The tester will know you don't have a clue and make it even worse on you. As to the slack adjusters don't drive a truck older than about 1995. Or was it 1992? Some where along in there the gov ordered that all trucks made after that have auto adjusters. I have no clue how to adjust brakes. :nono: Haven't drove a truck much that was old enough to need it done manually.