1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kramer56, Nov 23, 2010.

1. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

Ok I know there is a few guys here that have been in my situation so here it is. I have only a 105 amp alt and dual batts in my 2500 diesel, running my SW megaV with alot of drives real close Im afraid my batts will go dead quick. so would you guys do the 2nd alt or get a bigger single alt to help out with the chargeing system, and all the costs associated would bve appreciated as well to really weigh the factor of what my cheap ass will do lol. Im sorry but i get confused and pissed off when i dont find the what I m looking for in the search right away since i need to do something right away so sorry but thank you as well?

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Here is the best way that I can explain a charging system. You need to think of it in terms of a water tower.

If you put a big pump (alternator) at the bottom of the water tower (batterys), once the tower is drained, it will only refill as fast as the big pump can handle. So if you have a 500 gallon water tower, once the 500 gallons is gone, you only have the output of the pump.

So, if you have a 2000 gallon tank (many batterys), the size of the pump (alternator) will not matter as much because it will take 4 times as long to drain it.

So if you have a 105amp alternator and you have 2 batterys, you will be good. What will be better is more batterys. It will take a long time to work the power out of the batterys, then let the alternator charge between lots.

A slow charge from a 105amp alternator is better for the life of your batterys than a high charge that comes from a 200amp alternator. All it will do is shorten the life of your batterys.

3. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

with my defroster light wipers and vplow all working my lights dim pretty bad unless im driving around. I do understand what u r saying, but if you look at trucks w plow pkg they all have big alt or 2 alts w 2 batts and they dont seem to have an issue with the dimming lights or loss of power to say. I was just trying to weigh my options to get a better setup at the least amount of money possible. so far you have saved me the most lmao.

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

The Chevys dont come with dual altetnators. Your diesel already has the same alternator that comes on Chevy's with the plow prep package. I run another battery in the bed of my trucks and it helps.

5. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

so essentially what u r saying is that 3 batts are better than a higher amp alternator? I been seeing that alot people are just going to a 145amp alt instead of 200 or 2nd alt. I was just curious on the thoughts of getting better results. Thanks bud i do appreciate it.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hmm........Maybe a 63 amp alt is the way to go then?

7. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

What? R u picking on me? lol :gunsfiring:

Where is B&B lol

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, not picking on you.....

9. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Nope. Just had that problem :D

OP.... just use extra batteries as ballast in the bed. Problem solved :laughing:

10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I basically have the same setup as you except a Boss 9-2 V plow.I have lots of power accessories also.I don't have any issues whatsoever.I think you have a charging problem or maybe some aging batteries.Why not just get a simple checkup first?

11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

My 2011 LML, 2008 LMM, and 2006 LBZ all came with dual alternators. :confused:

12. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

Same truck but 05 same plow. I know all about you power draw problems :). I ordered dual alt kit from pitstopmotorsports.com and no more problems. good luck

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If there's already dual batteries I'll take more alternator output and more efficient cables over additional batteries any day, you can't practically add enough battery storage to make up for more alternator. If you consume far more power than you replace you will run out of proper voltage eventually and when you're running a small alternator it's faster than you realize and with more battery's it only causes a longer recovery time and the undersized alternator to work that much harder. Not to mentioned running starting battery's below their fully charged state compromises their life.

If we had the technology, would you rather have a fuel tank in the bed capable of storing 500 gallon of fuel....or a machine that would make fuel on the go as needed to keep the tank full? When it pertains to creating electrical power we have that technology...and it's called an alternator correctly sized for the job.

14. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

Hey cor i was messin with ya. CTL you saved me a pm to you this morning cuz i knew you had same setup but what did you go with?
    B&B what should i do 2nd alt or single high output? All original batteries and alternator on the truck now.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A single with at least a 200 amp rating is the simplest means. Not a huge fan of running dual alt's. The redundancy is nice but adds it's own complexities to the system that isn't needed to get excellent output. You do want to run a GOOD quality single however, not all high output alt's are created equal and thus the reason prices can vary greatly when you shop around. If you find a 200 amp and it costs less than $300 it won't have a good lifespan on a plow truck. There is a difference.

16. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

yeah here napa has one for $254 but then the cable kit is around $80 not sure on the belt yet. The whole dual pkg seems to be cheaper but i just want it to work right with no probs.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely time for new batteries, especially on a plow truck. Just because they snap the engine over for five seconds with no problem every morning, doesn't mean they are up to plowing duty. With dual batts, you want to change them at the same time with matching batteries manufactured the same month. Get the best batteries that will fit in the truck. The Duralast Gold batteries from AutoZone are very good. And usually very fresh. Look for a bright sticker on side with the date. Shouldn't have any trouble getting a pair less than a couple months old. They are also available with dual terminals which simplifies wiring.

I put the Napa HO alt on a 97. 155 amp, worked great. It was a huge improvement over the stock 105. I did blow a bearing in it, they provided a replacement no problem. For a few more bucks, I would have gone with a 200 amp plus unit from DB Electric or similar builder.

The cable kit is ESSENTIAL. No sense in putting a HO alt in without it. If you source the components yourself, you can probably save a few bucks on that side.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Even if you don't swap alternators (I would) a cable kit will make your existing alternator more efficient. It would be a waste to up-grade alternators and not up-grade the cables.

A higher amp Alt. will make things much simplier than a dual system, easier to get parts and you're not "stealing" HP (not much) from the engine.

19. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

I would like the gas tank please. The fuel making machine would NEVER be able to keep up with me OR you :laughing:

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think he covered that base.;)