1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD/X Blade first impressions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gcsupraman, Jan 4, 2005.

1. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I bought a used 2002 2500HD (8.1/Allison) last week for plowing and just had a fisher X Blade put on the truck this morning. Living in CT, everybody seems to be running fishers around here and there are many dealers in the state so it seemed like a good choice. I have an older chevy 3500 with a fisher plow that I use now and it's always been good to me so I decided to stay brand loyal. Here are a few of my thoughts/experiances so far:

When I picked up the truck the plow was actually already dented! I guess the moldboard had been dented in shipping. They replaced it with another but it made me wonder how easily the moldboards get dented under use. I guess as long as something doesn't hit it - it will be fine but if something sticks up I would assume it has the potential to put a big dent in the moldboard pretty easily.

I opted to buy a wear blade right away as I was under the impression (I thought I read it somewhere on this site) that I would need one for the X-blade. The wear blade actually sticks down the exact same as the stock cutting edge so that was a waste of money :) If you are buying an X-blade you do not need to buy a cutting edge at the same time - just keep an eye on the stock one so you don't wear it to far.

The truck sags like crazy! I'm very glad I didn't get a heavier plow because I will definately need to buy Timbrens and crank the torsion bars.

The one thing I don't like about the new plows is the "auto-down". On my older truck I have a hydraulic plow and if I want to move the plow down 1" I just move the lever down just a little. This plow automatically drops all the way to the ground! The dealer told me there was no way to change this and I could not adjust the drop speed either - this is definately going to take some getting used to - especially when adjusting the plow on the highway.

Lets hope we get some snow now!

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I had a Fisher plow at one time but don't any more so I know very little about the X-Blade. But as far as the sagging front end, put 5 turns on the torsion bar adjusting bolts. This will stiffen up the front end for you, then come spring you can turn them back and maintain a smooth ride.
  3. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I am assuming you have the joystick controller. With the joystick lower is directly to "float" mode. With the Fish Stick hand held controller you have to hold the down button for .75 second to enter "float" mode, so you can bump the plow down a little at a time. Their should be more details explaining this in your owners manual.
  4. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

How many turns can I go without an alignment? If I do 3 and timbrens would that be reasonably comfortable for year round use?
  5. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Congrats on the new purchase, you won't be disappointed.

As for the cutting edge, up until this year, Fisher did not add a "wear bar", which is a piece of real thick metal flat stock to the backside of the X-Blade trip edge (a.k.a. base angle) and depending on the type of plowing you do (residential or commercial), the base angle could rapidly wear down. Sometimes so far that you'd have to replace it at $500. According to my local dealer, starting this year (season), Fisher has added a wear bar and now you can get away without running a bolt-on cutting edge right away.

As for "auto down" feature, are you talking about the "float" setting or the fact that the lift arm collapses completely every time you lower the plow? While you cannot do anything about the automatic "float" feature, you can change the automatic lift arm collapse feature by disconnecting the spring/cable assembly between the a-frame and the lift arm. However, if you do, you may run the risk of having the headgear tilt back into the nose of your truck as you dismount the plow and back away. This is because the cable/spring assembly actually helps to keep the headgear upright.

Lastly, you can adjust the drop speed of the blade by adjusting the quill on the manifold. If you're looking at the plow, it is located on the top, in-line with the lift ram port/hose. It looks like a thin bolt with a slit across the top. Using a flathead screw driver, turn the bolt to the right or left to either increase or decrease the drop speed. NOTE: Every time you make an adjustment to the quill, make sure the blade is completely lowered to the ground.
  6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

If your truck is in alignment now there is no need to have it aligned. I have never had any wear problems with tires after adjusting the torsion bars...
  7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

run ballast. buy some timbrens and I have 3/4" of crank over stock hight and am fine. my plow sags less than 1.5" when raised and dosnt porpose or pogo.

WHEN YOU ADJUST THE TBARS USE THE RIGHT TOOL TO TAKE THE PRESSURE OFF!!!!! dont just crank the t bars, its like working under a car thats just on a jack.....many people have done it with no problems but you dont want to be one of the unlucky ones. do a search....there is a detailed write up on how to crank em, its easy but do it the right way!
  8. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Ok - bars are up 4 turns and the Timbrens are on order. I found and adjusted the drop speed (Thanks) which makes it much easier to use.

After checking it out up close, this X-blade is a pretty serious unit - I'm starting to think I went overkill!

Has anybody used the bolt on shoes on the X-blade? - I have about 8 gravel driveways and was wondering if it helps at all.

9. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

I have the new style curb wear shoes on my 8' X Blade, they may help a little on gravel but not much, I would not buy them again and if weight is a issue for you they weigh over 60#. As far as the front end sag as other have said ballast is the key, Fisher recommends over 800# of ballast for the X Blade, or you could trade that Chevy for a Ford and end the problem all together :) LOL
  10. skidsteerloader

skidsteerloader Junior Member

I felt the same about the plow dropping completely as soon as you touch the joystick, but found that if you tap the stick quickly upwards,( as the blade is lowering ) the blade will lower some but wont drop completely to the ground. ( tapping lever upward takes plow out of float mode. )
  11. maurader

maurader Member

I bought my x-blade this year as well and I'm surprised that you had to pay for a cutting edge. My plow came with the center punched edge and I wasn't even quoted a price without it. Both of the dealers in town said that the edge was included with the price.
    As far as sagging, I was going to put timbrens on but after I turned up the torsion bars five turns and put 560lbs in the bed the truck only sags about 1/2 inch with the plow up.

Good luck with your new toy!
  12. George C

George C Senior Member

4 turns and a set of Timbrens, and you'll never notice the plow is there.
    I run 10 bags of tube sand which totals out at 600lbs.
    I would suggest Timbrens right from the get-go. It takes a lot of stress off of the T-bars.

Maurauder, you may have already paid for it and didn't know it. The XBlade does not come with the cutting edge.
    I paid $3,800 installed, and another $100.00 for the edge.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  13. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I turned the T-bars up 4 turns and I'll get the Timbrens for this weekend. Hopefully it will help as you say..

I almost bought the Blizzard 810 - imagine what the front end would like like with that plow on it. :)

14. maurader

maurader Member

You're right George C, I might have paid for the cutting edge without realizing it because they had them on all of the plows already. I still got a great deal though because I paid $3815 installed and I would have bought the cutting edge anyways.
  15. George C

George C Senior Member

You got a great deal.
    The cutting edge is always a good idea from the beginning.
    You'll be very happy with the Timbrens.
  16. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I got a chance to plow with the X-blade a few days ago. This plow is really nice and does a really good job on paved driveways. The gravel driveways were as expected - you just have to be very carefull. For people who have mostly gravel driveways I would not recommend this plow! I had the initial concern with the joystick and the "auto-float" but I adjusted the quill to slow the drop speed down and after a few plows it was not an issue.

The only things I need to get to be 100% is the timbrens and maybe an extra battery. Man - these newer plows really suck some juice! Would you guys recommend adding a second battery or upgrading the alternator?

17. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd recommend doing both battery and alternator.