1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD with the 6.0

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kollerman, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

I recently bought a 2007 Crew Cab Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0L gas motor. I basically use it for pulling my 28ft camper almost every weekend. I have a work car, so the truck isn't my daily driver.

I have about 85,000 miles on the truck, and I was wondering if there were some simple upgrades that I can do to it in order to get a little more power and efficiency. The truck is completely stock and has never been modified at all.

Can anyone provide any advice on what I can do? I have heard a cold air intake would be good, with a possible exhaust upgrade. I also had a guy tell me to get a BullyDog system on and i would be good.

Just too many options on the internet and I am not sure what one provides the best results.

2012-04-25 18.33.21.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. willie07

willie07 Junior Member

C/K out blackbear performance. He does custom tunes for you truck, and it would be the best.
  3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I dont care for the junk filters that come with cold air kits. Stock paper filters flow fine for a stock truck,And will keep dirt out of ur engine. Get a good tune. Other then that most everthing else will just lighten ur wallet.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

A good tune will be able to help that truck be set up better for towing. Thats the most economical thing you can do. Most other things will just cost a lot but not do a whole lot for you.
  5. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

Efficiency and more power in the same sentence with a 6.0 Gas is out of the question. But yes a custom tune is your best option. A dyno shop can set you up with one for towing and fuel. Probably cost you around $500 but that is the better option instead of the programmer. Also depends if you have warranty or not.
  6. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

yeah i wouldnt suggest a handheld tuner either. There good in some cases but to do good tuning it needs to go on a dyno so they can run all the numbers. I know some well know performance shops in my area that are around 300-350 for a few pulls on the dyno and some tuning. While a truck tuning place would probablly be best, those are still LS based engines (similar in design to the LS1 engine) and you might have an easier time finding a car performance shop to do the tuning, although you would deff want to ask them what kind of expierence they have with tuning trucks too before having them do anything
  7. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

where are you in DE i am in the southern part of the state and have the same truck just in a 2008 and would like to have mine tuned up a little for towing. would be nice to be able to tow my skid with plenty of power to spare. ussmileyflagussmileyflag