1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD with 6.0 MPG?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snow game, Dec 1, 2008.

1. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

What are you guys getting for mileage with 2500HD 6.0 gas motor? Think I'm going to close the deal on one tomorrow.
  2. MLLC

MLLC Member
    from MA

i get a range of 11-14 depending on what i'm doing
  3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Mines a 2500 non HD with the 6.0, but it still get 12.5mpg. I've gotten 15 on teh highway though.
  4. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

my 2003 2500hd with the 6.0 and 4.10's got between 10-12 mpg all the time, wether it was highway or city. crappy, but consistent. it actually did better with the 285's on it i think.
  5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Not the greatest, but not too bad either. My Duramax gets a little better than my 6.0, not by much though:rolleyes:
  6. saynow

saynow Junior Member

Ha! I have a 2000 3/4 ton sierra 7.4l and I get 8mi. in town and 10 on highway. Just found out I can plow and salt for 10 hours on a tank...sucks
  7. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

I average 11.6 around town. Get about 13.2 on the highway. Pulled a 24ft enclosed car trailer from Chicago to Las Vegas and got 7.3 mpg a $4.39 a gallon...ouch
  8. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I get 9 to 10 mpg every tank with my 8.1. I allways thought that was good for a 496. Allways figured the 6.0 should get a little better than what they seem to get. JMO
  9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I can get about 13 city and have gotten 18 on the highway, as long as I kept it under 70. Mine has the 4:10's in it as well. But helping it breathe a little better helped for sure!!!
  10. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I am afraid to check it, one of these days i will do the math, i just see the needle drop. It was doing pretty good until the gas prices went down, now it seems to be sucking more gas.:dizzy:
  11. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

12 around town. 12 on the highway.

2000 2500 6.0 4.10's.
  12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I just figured it up....roughly 10-12 in town and 15-16 on the highway. My Duramax gets 13 in town and 16-17 on the highway.
  13. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I'm getting a little over 12 mpg on my 98 7.4L when running empty. This is after changing the two pre-cat O2 sensors. I was getting 9-10 mpg before running empty. I haven't towed or hauled anything since changing the O2 sensors so I don't know what the mileage is yet. Before I still got around 9 mpg towing.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Biggest difference between the Duramax and the 6.0 is when you are towing. Then they are night and day.
  15. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Don't buy a truck for it's MPG. Buy it for getting the job done. Duramax is the only game in town for long-haul heavy towing, but a great way to waste a wad of cash for putzing around town with moderate loads and/or snowplowing. The money you save buying a 6.0 vs a diesel will buy a LOT of extra fuel. I bought the D-Max purely on puny penile syndrome and the fact that I can afford it regardless of practicality. I would have been better off with the gas burner for what I use it for if I had to answer to the bottom line for justification.
  16. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Thanks for all the reply's should be a done deal tomorrow! 08 2500hd with 6.0 and a few toys along with the Fisher xls, only bad news is the first snow may come on Sunday and the new plow won't be ready for it!
  17. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

12-13 MPG on my 2001 6.0 crew cab with a mix of highway/city driving.
  18. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Great, im gonna get about 12MPG in mine. Yay. Ha ha, picking mine up tommorrow hopefully if the guy gets the brakes done.
  19. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Get ahold of these people www.nelsonperformance.com They do custom ecm tunes for chevy trucks. It will help your mileage and give you plenty more power. I just ordered one for my truck last week and will have it in the next few days.
  20. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

there's blackbearperformance also, they do custom tuning. They send a scan cable out. You put some software on a laptop and they do the tune specific to your vehicle. They also do standard mail order tunes as well.