1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD vs Non-HD... Differences???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Merc1100sc, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

What are they? are the frames beefier on the HD's?

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

yes. when Gm came out with the 2500hd they temorarily did away with the single wheel 3500, which is essentially a 2500hd. a 3500 was dual wheels only for about 3 years, but now they are making them again with SRW. Basically it was just a marketing move, renaming stuff to get appeal to different groups. Not much call for SRW 3500s, so naming it like its a 3/4 ton probably sold more anyway. they have for many years had 2 versions of the 2500, light ones with six lug wheels that were essentially a half ton, and 8 lugs that were 3/4 tons. When they changed the 3500 SRW to 2500HD, the 6 lug 2500 went away, and the 8 lug 2500 (non HD) was supposed to be phased out as well, but I dont think it ever was. Now they even make a 1500HD with 8 lug, I cant figure out what is different about that from a 2500, except it is only available in crewcab. To answer your question, the HD has a much heavier frame, higher spring rates thus a higher GVW. Same motor, trans and axles, except for the optional diesel and big block. Possibly better auxiliary coolers for towing and plowing. I use an 01 2500 non HD for work, it has nowhere near the beef of an HD, but I tow with it up to its capacity every day, hauling skidsteers and mini-excavators, with the bed loaded too. It has no problem at all, and it has been beaten hard every day of its life. 243,000 miles and still going strong. So I wouldnt worry about a regular 2500 not being enough truck. I doubt that most people EVER use their 2500HD to its full capacity.

3. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Thanks for the info Dan....

So, the 1500HD has 8 lugs wheels.. I think the Escalade EXT has 8 lugs also, but the avalanche doesnt.. actually, an avalanche 2500 does.. what platform is under the EXT? the 2500 non-hd?

4. Detroitdan

Ext is virtually identical to Avalanche 1500, which sits on 1500 Suburban platform. It is still six lug half ton, only difference is EXT gets the 6.0 and full time AWD. 1500 HD pickup has 8 lug and the 6.0, but not AWD. Avalanche 2500 is 8 lug, Sub 2500 platform with rear leaf springs, ONLY engine option is 8.1 big block. I'm not sure about Escalade ESV, that may be 2500 8 lug, but I've never seen one so I couldnt tell you. And hard to tell anyway because Caddy doesnt leave lugs exposed. I suspect it may be 2500, only because it appears to be on the same platform as Yukon XL/ 2500 SUb.

5. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Man, you're a wealth of knowledge.. thanks for the info..

I know a guy that tows a 38' boat, approx 10K#'s, w/ an EXT. I thought it was an 8 lug 2500...

6. Detroitdan

normally anytime I share my "wealth of knowledge" somebody chimes in and bites my head off for being wrong. I will admit that I spend way to much time looking at and thinking about trucks that I can't afford. I dont know what the tow rating is on an EXT with a 6.0, but my wife has an Avalanche 1500 with the 5.3 and the tow rating is only 7700. I'd be surprised if an EXT was much more. I'd be very surprised to see one with the 2500 chassis. Of course that doesnt mean you can't tow more than what the truck is rated for. As long as the trailer has wheels anything will pull it. Its just a matter of controlling it safely. Another site I used to frequent was full of rednecks who liked to brag about how much weight they tow with 1-ton pickups, guys pulling anywhere from 20-40k and they think they're perfectly safe.

7. Detroitdan

Hey, how's Utica? Got much snow yet? I lived in Forestport and worked in Utica for a while, back in 93 when it really snowed. I remember the snowbanks being so high you couldnt see any buildings as you drove down rt 12.

8. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

I hear ya. a lot of guys tow a lot more than they should..
    this guy in particular fits that discription pretty well.. fearless..

no, no snow in utica yet.. we've actually had some really good weather. it was 76 this past sunday.. starting to drop now though...

i remember 93.. it snowed like crazy on halloween. i was still in high school at the times.. man, what a winter we had... i had a rear wheel drive sports car w/ bald tires.. worked at a pizza place 4 blocks from my house and took me 3 hours to get home one night.. i refused to throw in the towel and just walk home... was fun though

9. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

ok, just checked.. towing capacity of an EXT is 7300#...

That boat, trailer, and the 3000hp in the trunk have to be way over 10, maybe 11K.

10. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Added to what has been posted, the HD has a full floating rear axle, it also sits 2 " higher (notice the spacer between the bumper and the lights). It also has the 8.1 and Dmax engine options.

11. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Different rear end options(like the 11.5) different trans options/different motor options. Frame is taller so it sits taller as was mentioned. Bit different cooling set ups and some other small things.

12. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

And, 2500's come standard w/ the 4L80 instead of the 4L60 in the 1500's? Correct?