1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500hd trans temp

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by all or nothing, Jan 2, 2013.

1. all or nothing

all or nothing Junior Member

2005 HD 6.0 AUTO whats the high side when plowing? it hits around 185/195 is this ok I just did the filter and fluid @39k thanks
  2. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

Completely normal. Mine is around there and higher while towing and plowing. I also hit the tow/haul button for plowing.
  3. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

mines is around 200ish never over 250 and thats back and forth and at the end of my shift
  4. all or nothing

Thanks guys first winter plowing with it.
  5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

6. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

Just watch with the tandem cooler lines because I had one of mine rot (return) and intake to cooler got clogged and fried the tranny/:
  7. yloflash

yloflash Junior Member

Thats about where mine runs when plowing
  8. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

I upgraded my cooler with a $50 aftermarket and ran rubber lines past the stock crimps that fail repeatedly. Driving with the plow on long distance 10-20 miles or plowing all night I'm rarely above 160 occasionally will get around 185 but that's when i'm cleaning up in an open lot flying around. But for me normal operating temp is 140 and regular driving around town in the winter I'm lucky if the needle gets above 110-120.
  9. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

My tranny actually gets a little warmer during summer pulling my 24' enclosed trailer - then when I'm plowing, [ but still not hot ].

all or nothing - your tranny temp is fine.
  10. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

I read somewhere with these trannys, shifting directly from first to reverse, and reverse to first will help them survive. I dont remember the exact reason why, nor do I know a ton about auto trannys, but I think it was something like it kept pressure to it or something to do with a band or drum? I have been doing it for a couple years that way, definetly less pause between gears like this in my experience. Mine tends to creep up around where yours does or a bit higher if I'm working it a lot, never seen over 200 or so yet.
  11. all or nothing

I read that as well 1-r-1 i do the same thing.