1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD Trans Fluid Change

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by crossboneracing, Aug 31, 2007.

1. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Anybody changed the fluid in their 2500HD with a 6.0 and an automatic? I need to know how much fluid to buy and if there is a filter or not. I am just going to drain the pan. Also, if anybody knows, what does the general reccomend for around 30k miles. I already grased everthing (every oil change) and changed the diff. fluid. Any ideas? Thanks

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you want to change your trans fluid you should have someone with an evacuation pump do it. Removing the pan and filter only gets a portion of the oil in the trans. folks with the right equipment get it all.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your gonna need about 6 or 7 qts of fluid (Dexron III fluid btw) and I would HIGHLY recommend dropping the pan and changing the internal filter, even if you do decide to have the tranny flushed. What point is flushing it if you leave the old dirty filter and sediment still in the pan? As to the other preventative maintenance items...you said you did the diff, did you do the front one too? If not, do it too. Also change the fluid in the transfer case. Good PM is cheap insurance to the long and trouble free life of a truck.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Amen. I guess that wasn't well worded. :eek: I was trying to suggest he do more then just drop the pan, if he wants to change all the fluid it takes a pump. It's particularly important for the guys wanting to change to synthetic, folks seem to think all you have to do is drop the pan to drain all the trans fluid.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Gotcha :salute: . Wasn't trying to disagree with you about the flush. Just wanted to add a little more info to your recommendation...

6. Max Diyer

Max Diyer Junior Member
    from PA

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

as was mentioned above only flushing the trans is a total waste of money.
    The pan needs to come down and filter changed or cleaned.
    As far as flushes go, if you follow the recommended maintenance procedures by your manufacturer MOST DO NOT recommend flushes. Every 30K a fluid and filter change, and band adjustment is all good. If you do 30K intervals the fluid is usually as good as the day you put it in. The key is the filter :waving:

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Can I adjust bands on a 4l80e? If so, when should I do it? I have almost 160k now, never been done to my knowledge, but fluid and filter done a lot.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 4L80E doesn't have an externally adjustable band, so you didn't miss a thing on your trans mainenence..

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

cool, thanks