1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500Hd to 250 or 350 diesel?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by menchhofer, Jul 11, 2004.

1. menchhofer

menchhofer Junior Member
    from IN

Currently have 02 2500 HD. Been looking at new diesel 250 or 350. However, I am told Ford does not recommend snow plow on the diesel due to the added weight of the plow and the diesel.

Anyone here plow with diesel or should I stay with what I have.

Would like others experiences on this matter......thanks

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

your kidding you can spec out one with a snowplow prep and diesel option.Anyway we have a crew cab with 7.3 and 8ft pro western front dosent move but i do carry 750lbs over the rear axel

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Love my my 03 Chevy diesel 2500HD. Chevy has a much lighter Diesel and front end and it allows you to run a bigger blade than a ford or dodge IIRC. I run a 9'6" V blade. Fisher recomends this sized blade on my truck and my truck handles it fine.

What exactly do you have and why do you want to get rid of what you have? Even a tired old 350 will have more than enough power to push any amount of snow.

IF you can get a plow prep on a truck regardless of manufacturer depends highly on what cab and bed configuration and also what motor.

4. menchhofer

menchhofer Junior Member
    from IN

I have a tree care service and find the 2500HD (gas) mileage very poor plus I do 90% towing with it. The diesel would be fine for the towing but the salesman tells me the warranty on a new 04 either 250 or 350 diesel (supercab I believe) will not cover a plow nor do they come with a snow plow prep package....again, due to the weight of the engine...so....I am trying to figure my options.

5. PLOWMAN45

i think ford motor co is getting stupid i will stick with a dodge 2500 or 3500 hd diesel

6. ratlover

from IL

Do you want reg cab or what? dual rear wheels or what?

The new 6.0 fords give me the willies.

Any reason your not looking at a Chevy?

Lotsa towing=diesel paying for itself :nod:

7. menchhofer

menchhofer Junior Member
    from IN

Chevy's are about 2,000 additional hard earned dollars and the Ford inside of the cab gives a little more room than the Chevy or GMC.

I am looking at the extended cabs. No dual wheels.

Have heard a lot about the Duramax and the Allison trans having problems also.

All the dodge dealers around here do not have any diesels in stock...mostly the reason I have not considered them and their engines seem to make more noise

8. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

2500HD chevy hands down. Just ordered a 2005 2500 HD Chevy. Nothing beats Chevy. Dont consider the Ford.

9. ratlover

from IL

The duramax allison is a great combo IMO. The only real trouble with the duramax was the early models. Some of them were prone to injector problems. This problem has been fixed with the early-mid 03's and the new LLY duramaxes(04.5 and newer) have been redesighned a bit on the injector side. When I bought my truck if Ford was still offereing the good old 7.3 I may have considered a ford but if you want to talk about a problem prone diesel go over to the dieselstop and check out the 6.0 forums. look into dieselplace.com for info on the duramax/allison. A engin being a bit noisy wouldnt detract me from something. the cummins is a good motor but they did do some massive changes to it and it is now running a bosh comon rail injectoin(just like the duramax) The fact that you have to buy a dodge though and you get a dodge trany kept me from considering them.

Extended cab= less plow you can place up front and in some cases its not even recomended that you do with a disesel.

2 grand over 5 years at todays interest rates is about 30$ a month.

10. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Also consider the fuel use/cost vs. vehicle price and upcharge for diesel. You need put a lot of miles on any vehicle (car, truck or whatever) for the fuel mileage improvement to pay for the cost of the Diesel option (quite expensive) alone never mind the cost of trading vehicles. Get a Diesel because you want it (coolness) or need it (the power). Fuel savings with a $6,000 option is a false economy unless you are putting on a lot of miles and/or keeping the vehicle for a long time. If you assumed double the mileage and picking round numbers (10 mpg gas and 20 diesel - over blown I know) and $2.00 a gallon fuel (again for easy math) it would take a 120,000 miles to for the Diesel to "pay for itself with fuel savings and these numbers aren't hard and really favor the Diesel and don't include the increased prevetive maintenance costs.

11. menchhofer

menchhofer Junior Member
    from IN

Very interesting info I am getting here. Some people just love those Chevys.

Just read 2005 ford 250's coming out with snow prep pkg because of increased front springs. They also have the brake control built in to the dash...pretty convenient.

Guess I will keep looking and asking.....I only owe 1200 on the 02 GMC 2500HD and it only has 20k miles on it so it would last me a while longer.

However, I do WANT the diesel.....

12. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Go with the Dodge 2500. The new Cummins Turbo Diesel has 325HP and 600FT/LB of TQ! :eek: :eek:

Just filled up my first tank today on the new Dodge. 15.38MPG 70% city 30% hwy.

I wasn't getting anything close to that with my Ford 6.0

If your dealer won't deal, don't waste your time. It's end of the year for the '04's and there's plenty of deals to be had on remaining '04's. Don't listen to any B.S. from a dealer either.

I was getting deals of $8000.00 under MSRP, with no trade in on the Chevy's.

13. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

in our small fleet of 45 plow trucks all are ford and 80% are diesel .All trucks are 99-04 and yes we have super cabs and crew cabs both with the diesel. All of our 02 and up trucks have the western proplus blades on them and have absolutely no problem with the weight.We do have 4 6.0 strokes in the stable and have not had a single problem with any of them .the 6.0 is quicker,quieter , and more fuel efficient than the old 7.3. in my 30+ years of being around tow trucks, plow trucks and landscape trucks , I would rather keep my old ford pickup than a new Chevy.The fords seem to handle the stress of hauling weight much better than the Chevy's or dodges.

14. ratlover

from IL

Yup, I do love my Chevy LOL.

Built in brake controler! WOW that would be cool!

Diesels are cool plus you may pay more in the front end but it also comes out come trade in time. You get more ussualy for a diesel trade than a gasser.

The whole HP wars especially with the disels now is hotter than it was for the freaking 60's muscle cars! All of em are detuned quite a bit and they just wait for the other 2 to release thier #'s so they can release thier #'s with just a few more HP, and then next year they do it again. And the #'s just keep creaping up. All this competition is good for us HP junkies though :nod: Although it would be interesting if they would release thier trucks in a un-detued state......although i dont think Dodge would be releasing a 1 ton work truck that could whip up on thier "bad assed" SRT 10 and I dont think chevy wants its vette getting a run for its money by a bloated dually, and ford.....old mustang would be getting embarassed by soccer moms in diesel excursions. Then again the insurance agents and government would have a field day with a bunch of high hp trucks running amock

15. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Dont get anything but a CHEVY!!!!!!!! You will wish you got a Chevy in the long run.

16. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

Dont get anything but a CHEVY!!!!!!!! You will wish you got a Chevy in the long run.

It would seem to me that you have only owned chevys so your biased opinion is invalid:eek: :p :eek: :D

17. PLOWMAN45

i will take a dodge 600 or f350 anytime

18. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Back to the original question
    I have an 01 F350 PSD extended cab with a western V on it.
    It had an old unimount on it when I bought it used.

I never had a problem with the front end, or any of the minor warranty work I had it in for (power mirror switch and water pump replacement).

The dealer only sees the mount when take your plow off B4 you bring it in.

My old truck was a 96 F250 standard cab with the 351 engine and a western 7'6" with wings.

The PSD has more power in 4HI then the gasser had in 4 Low.

Not to mention that I can plow twice as long on the same amount of fuel.

You got to get the diesel.

My 2 cents

19. ratlover

from IL

Re: Dont get anything but a CHEVY!!!!!!!! You will wish you got a Chevy in the long run.

I've had some GMC's and a buick in there too LOL

20. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I've seen all the makes work side by side, friends of mine all haul cattle trailers and they all have their prefrences, and being in the construction business friends competitors all have their favorite truck. How ever that new smaller Ford diesel has all it can do to keep up with a 6.0 chevy with 4:10 gears. One guy here even went back to ford to get his old ford back with the 7.3 after 3 weeks of hauling. as far as power Dodge is already tweaking their motor up, chevy has just started to tweak theirs. I cant say as far as dependability for anything but a chevy I wont own anything else other then big trucks but they're a body with the same parts underneath as all the rest. I know personaly of an 02 with 245,000 and an 03 with 285,000 these trucks haul 16k trailers 800 miles a day every day and they just keep working. Then again all the cummins motors in my big trucks run great...even the big cams from the late 70's. We did run an f550 2 winters ago and it ran like a raped ape....I came out of the port at almost 24k with a body full of salt and towed my LS180 skidsteer with this load on, The truck handled the load like it was it's job, but that was the real diesel. In the end I like my chevys, although I still have nightmares from the 6.5 days, but the duramax is a different animal and gets a lot better fuel mileage.