1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500hd tire question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jeff52984, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

Well was looking at my crappy tires today dominator sport a/t 285/75/16 well needless to say I have not been happy with them wearing to fast in my opinion have 32,000 miles on them.Well I was debating on buying a new set before winter but dont know if that will happen $$ well anyways I looked and they are only load range D is this a big issue on why they wore so fast possibly. Its ext cab 8' bed 8.1 liter 4x4 I do a decent amount of towing/loading the bed should load range E be a must?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't put D rated tires on any of my trucks

3. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

I got 45,000 miles out of my nittos
    i just got a set of firestone dest at and i love them

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

You didn't say was size the truck was ....1500,2500??? If 25000 definitely you want Load Range E More side wall plies ..... For weight hauling...

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's funny. Guys just look at the load range, not the actual weight capacity. As the tire gets wider, the weight capacity for a given load range increases.

A little data from the BFG site, for the ATs on a 16" rim
    Load Range D tires
    Size-Weight Cap
    245-2535
    255-2689
    265-2835
    275-3000
    285-3305

Load Range E tires
    Size-Weight Cap
    245-3042
    255-n/a
    265-3415
    275-n/a
    285-3750

So to answer the OP question, Load Range E are certainly not required in your width. Two 285s Load Range D carry 6610 lbs, which is likely more than either axle is rated for.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  6. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

but with a truck that heavy you will certainly feel a difference in cornering and handling under load. I've wrestled with this too and have come to the conclusion that I won't go back to a load range D, even tho they should work....that said, Michelin makes a fantastic truck tire that I've seen get over 60,000 miles. We're currently experimenting with Peerless commercial tires that I have liked in the past. So far over 10,000 on them and love em.

ps, thats great info 2cor!!

7. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

sorry thought I put the truck in there its a 2001 2500hd all of my tires are wearing on the outer edge the right fornt was due to a bad inner tierod and then got a alignment. I use the truck for what it was meant to do and thats work I was towing a 30yard dump trailer down in texas for the hurricane 1 year ago so I tow and haul alot with it. I just figured when the guy sold me the tires they were load E guess I was wrong. The price I just got from him for new tires was $600 out the door for 285/75/16 notto terra grapplers but money is getting tight and wanted to have a little cushion for winter thats why I was going to try and use these but think I might regret it

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

you put it in the title! lol couldn't have missed it!

9. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

LOL well look at there just saw someone say they didnt know what kind of truck so I figured I forgot to put it. Thanks for looking out

10. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I have a 2500 HD Crew cab/short bed with a duramax. I run and 8'6" western and have load range D tires. I also haul about a 13,000lb trailer in the summer. I have no problems. I had two sets of load range E tires on my truck and I hate them. I got 20,000 miles max out of them. Your fine with 285's that are load range D. the E's are way to stiff

11. maxxer442

maxxer442 Junior Member

All 2500HD's in 01 came with E load 245/75-16's, which have a load rating of only 3042 lbs. A 285/75-16 D load is 3305 lbs. End of story. Besides, a lot of E load 285's are not rated for heavy snow and ice, read the fine print when buying them. I've run D load 285's for 10 years plowing and towing heavily and never had a problem, and my truck is even a diesel(heavier nose). I think the D's are fine, at least in my experience.

12. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

unfortunatley thats not the end of the story. I've had several different brands of tire on my 01 hd d/a just last year, all d rated, all 285s,all perform COMPLETELY different.

the only 8 plys that suited me were a set of baja widetracks. they held a load great and cornered like it was on rails. I've had:

sumitomos -soft, but excellent in wet weather, didnt get as many miles as i expected out of em
    goodyear mtr - great tire, but it didnt like the heavy truck (would love to have tried this tire in 10ply)
    coopers-discoverer stt - junk from the word go, gone in less than 30,000 miles
    peerless - holds a load great, commercial tire, great tread wear
    big o - all around disappointing tire, crappy tread wear too
    dayton- never again...junk
    michelin -arguably the best tire on the market today for longevity and load holding capabilty. regardless of the numbers on the sidewall...this tire will hold a far heavier load than any of the others hands down.
    baja widetrack mt- my favorite, its big, wide, noisy, and hard to wash the aggressive sidewalls....but it handles great, mileage was reasonable, and had no trouble at all with any load i put on them.

i have several trucks so i cycle the tires i dont like over to the trucks that i dont like, lol.

13. maxxer442

maxxer442 Junior Member

try the procomps

Try the procomp AT's. They're reasonably priced and I've gotten a ton of miles out of the 2 sets i've had. Good traction and low noise.

14. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

all good info thanks alot everyone. As for load range D not being enough I wasnt sure thats why I asked but just thought that was the reason these tires wore like crap on outer edge and dont seem to last as long as they should.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You said you had a bad tie rod and needed an alignment. That would cause the outer edges to wear, not the load range.

16. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

I know that but that shouldnt cause the rears to be wearing odd unless its from rotating them so the rears have been on the front twice so far. Was just trying to figure out why it was going on besides I think these tires are garbage and will not buy another set.

17. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

is it possible the torsion bars have been cranked up?

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's your air pressure? Alignment would have corrected for T-bar adjustment.

19. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

torsion bars have been turned 4 turns but that was just the other week and alignment followed a couples days after. As for air pressure I have no idea that check it at discount tire when i go in or get my tires rotated LOL sorry im lazy plus dont have a tire gauge to go that high. I know dont tell me im pathetic