1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD replaced tranny fluid

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ChevKid03, Jan 22, 2008.

1. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I finally got around to replacing my tranny fluid and filter last night... i had been dreading dropping the pan as some of the bolts by the transmission mount are pretty hard to get too... Anyway, took it apart, cleaned it out and was surprised at how good the fluid looked. The truck has 98K miles on it now, and I'm sure it was the first time it had been done. I bought the truck with 53K on it. The receiver didn't look like it EVER had a trailer on it when I bought it. That's actually the reason I DID buy it.. This is the first year the truck is being worked and I'll continue to keep up on the tranny service to see how much life I can get outta her...

2. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I changed mine before the winter. Mine now has 120,000 miles on it when I brought it there was 111,500. I don't think mine was ever changed either and the fluid was pretty clean. I had troule getting that little plastic spacer out where the filter goes in. Your right about some of the bolts being hard to get to.

3. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Do yourself a favor. Change the fluid / filter every year if using for plowing. Also get a full fluid flush.

4. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Yeah, I've been reading up on how to do a full flush myself... I know it is DEFINITELY worth the $125 from the local tranny shop but why not do it myself for $50? If I get the time and patience to do it, I'll post some pics.

5. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Just remember that you also have to flush the lines.

6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I was reading on here somewhere that flushes are no good and that you should only change the filter and oil in the pan instead.... Can someone shead some advice on this?

7. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

You want to change all the fluid. Look at it this way. Would you just change your oil filter and top off the oil? Or would you change all the oil And the filter?
    Well the same applies to your transmission.
    If you just change the filter and replace the trans fluid lost by doing so you are only replacing about 4 quarts.
    Your transmission holds a minimum of 12 quarts of fluid. Just a filter change is equivalent to just changing your oil filter and topping it off.