1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD owners, what's your tranny temp?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Tim94gt, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Tim94gt

Tim94gt Junior Member
    from Ma.

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E

I was wondering what your Tranny Temp was while plowing and normal driving without a plow?

I just had mine replaced due to overheating and I think something might still be wrong with the truck.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Plowing like a mad man I'll see 165* out of mine.
    Plowing like a white guy I'll get 150* maybe
    Towing I've never seen above 155*

Trans mods are a deep pan, synthetic fluid, and a shift kit.

3. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

I have the allison, and all I see while plowing is generally 120ish. The trans should not get any hotter than the coolant give or take. If your plowing and driving alot the trans will get hotter then just plowing in general. What are you seeing for temps?

4. Tim94gt

Tim94gt Junior Member
    from Ma.

Ok, thanks guys. I have only put 40 miles on it since getting it back.

So far, it's about 120* at highway speeds and reached about 180* while driving around town with the plow on. I haven't pushed any snow yet, but will be tonight.

They said there was a restriction in the cooler/radiator so they replaced that and the transmission. They did not replace the cooler lines since they were replaced in early December.

I'm thinking that the restriction was due to defective cooler lines, but I'm not sure.

5. Tim94gt

Tim94gt Junior Member
    from Ma.

Is that with the 4L80E or Allison?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  6. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

I would assume Allison since he has a diesel.

Rule of thumb for Allisons is ambient temp outside plus 100*. I dont plow with mine so couldnt tell ya but Ive only seen over 200* a few times. Mostly right on track with what I said.

7. Tim94gt

Tim94gt Junior Member
    from Ma.

Ya, that's what I figured after looking at his sig.

I'm probably being paranoid, but I don't want to destroy this tranny overnight.

Here is a pic from last storm.

[​IMG]

8. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

That's too hot unless it's just a spike for a short duration . Have you tried downshifting .

9. Tim94gt

Tim94gt Junior Member
    from Ma.

That was with the last transmission. I have like 30 miles on a brand new transmission now.

I can't remember what my normal temps were prior to having issues. I haven't driven it too much, but so far it's been 120* w/out plow and 180* with it. I just don't want to ruin another transmission.

10. procutsnow

procutsnow Member

I have the 4L80E in my 3500, and I am addicted to watching the tranny temp. Here is what I have observed since I got the truck (December 1st).

Normal driving w/o plow: 120+/-
    Normal driving w/ plow: 130+/-
    Long distance Driving w/o plow: 125+/-
    Long distance driving w/ plow: 145+/-
    Plowing: 135 +/-
    Towing: haven't towed anything yet

I don't run it hard by most people's standards, still breaking it in so I've been gentle. I assume as the "newness" wears off those numbers will increase as my driving gets back to normal.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

11. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Um you have a 6L80

12. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I thought 6L90?

13. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

6L90 is in the half ton trucks, Tahoes,Escalades, Camero, and Vette

14. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Upfitter doc matrix from GMupfitter.com shows 5.3L getting MYC-6L80 and 6.0L getting MYD-6L90

15. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I got the 8.1/Ally and w plow on highway the hottest was 190 and 200 deg in the summer on a 100 deg day towing 16,000lbs. Gm has said that 220 is perfectly safe for the ally although ive never come close to that.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your applications are backward. 2500/3500 trucks get the 90, much of everything else (V8 gas RWD in general) gets the 80 as the 80 has a maximum GVWR application limit of 8600 lb. A little low for a 2500/3500 truck.

17. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You should have been QUIT when it start go up after 180oF. How big tran cooler you have on now? Look it need bigger tran cooler and if it start climb I put in Neutral and rev up 1500-2000 rpm to spin fan to suck cold air though hot tran cooler. Oh by way you could have save that tran if you use 4WD LOW which help much for plow wet heavy snow.

18. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

are the holes in your front bumper blocked? are all the shields in place?

19. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

When driving normally, light hauling in a hilly area or driving to work with the plow on, fully raised and full right angle, my tranny temp gauge doesn't even budge from the lowest reading. When plowing or hauling heavy loads, the needle moves a bit, but no more than 1/4-1/3 of its possible travel to the red zone...sorry but I don't know the temp numbers. My truck has never even come close to overheating, even if I drive with a load in the bed and the plow straight. It does however, sound like a 747 most of the time its running, I've always assumed that my fan clutch is the reason but since I've never had an issue I decided to live with the noise and not risk messing it up.

20. tac48

tac48 Member

I have an 03 K2500HD w/ 4L80E. Never seen my trans temp much above 200 when plowing or towing. GM says normal operating temp is 180-220.