1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500hd or 3500hd for plowing?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Ziob34, May 16, 2015.

1. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

Been a ford guys for a long time but have had so many problems and heard good things about the chevy and its 6.0 motor i'm leaning towards getting one. Have the option right now for a 2011 2500hd extended cab LT model standard 6.6' bbed with a plow and a 2013 3500hd work truck model regular cab 8 foot bed. both are 6.0 gas.

Is there a big difference where its worth getting the 3500 1 ton or are the drivetrains basically the same thing just extra suspension and springs.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Why not get a 2500 with a long-box a box?
    If you can't carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the tailgate closed why buy it?
    I just dont get the 6ft box....
    What is a 6ft box for? Hauling grocery's?
  3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

While I agree 8' bed is the only way to go for me, you need to decide how you'll be using the truck when not pushing snow. I also don't like buying used, especially a truck that someone possibly overworked, abused, flicked his snot all over, etc...

As to your question of 2500 vs 3500 I don't think it matters unless you intend to put a salter in the bed.
    As to the 6.0L, that's what I've got in my '15 Double Cab Long Bed and I always lost traction before I ran out of pushing power.
  4. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

both will push snow. so the real questions are what will you use it for when not pushing snow, will you need the longer bed, which is newer with lower miles, which is the better deal, the 13 is likely to still be under the 5 year 100k powertrain warranty. also make sure the trucks have the VYU (plow prep) code on the options list. usually will see a roof beacon light switch or look in the glove box at the list of codes. maintenance records would be nice. basically figure out what you need then buy the better truck!

6.0 is a great motor but will suck down gas like no other!
  5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Exact advice that I would give. The Ford 6.2 might give the Chevy 6.0 some competition at the gas pump. My Ford loves fuel.
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Buy the one that has the heavier front axle rating.
  7. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

3500's are now rated over 10,000# and will require you to follow Nat'l HOS rules.
  8. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Strangely enough, I have one of both of the same you are looking at! 2013 3500WT dump body and a 2011 2500 SLE 8 ft body. Is the 3500 you are looking at DRW or SRW? If it is a DRW you can push a little bigger plow. Other than that and suspension, basically the same truck. Same motor, tranny,etc. 1 ton I believe has bigger brakes???
    Great trucks for work and plowing. Like others said, they sure are thirsty. Bout the only bad thing about em!
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Brakes are the same until you get into a dually

There identical just 3500 can have heavier torsion bars.
  10. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

What I thought. My 1 ton has DRW has big boys in the rear!
  11. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

and the rear has a additional leaf spring in the stack
  12. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

What if he don't want a long box?
    What if he don't need to carry a sheet of plywood?
    You not getting a 6ft box wasn't his question.
    You'd need a lot of grocery's to fill a 6ft box.
  13. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

True but a 2500 can have heavier T bars than a 3500 . The trucks with plow prep get heavier ones it has nothing to do with 3500-2500. One helper spring in the rear leaf pack and a block between the rear end and leaf is the only change. .
  14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

What if......
    What if your post offered just a little help to the op.

Yea, a 6ft box is a joke...
    and that is not just my opinion.

the only difference comes in when you option a diesel.
    (P-to-P,he didn't give a power plant preference)
    I'm not sure about Chev but the diesels usually get a bigger Diff/Axel than a gasser in the same class.
  15. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Just to stir the pot, why can't a short box truck haul a sheet of plywood? Is it criminal to rest it on the tailgate??? And have just over a foot overhang?
  16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Just to use my own spoon.

Who said, you can't?

With of tailgate? 2.5'?

Why would there be a foot overhang?

So no, it would not be a criminal offense that could require jail time to haul a 4x8' sheet of PLY in a 6ft box.
    Even without the tailgate.pumpkin:
  17. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Last I checked they were 6.5 foot boxes
  18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

What does that change?
    Ya still can't close the tailgate.
    your limited on what will or can fit.

Jmo, As, I'm a long box guy.

Some guys:rolleyes: always come up short.
    sorry to hear it. (Not really.)

PS who said ya can't?
    You said someone said that......

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  19. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Either one will work. It comes down to your preference and use.
  20. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

i'm a regular cab 8' bed work truck kind of guy but was weighing options at trying to combine a work truck and a partial family vehicle if i have to bring the kids to school etc. Most of the time the truck would be used to tow a landscape trailer so i don't need an 8' bed and don't want it to long if i use it for backup plow truck. Have a mason dump and another work truck if i need to pick up anything.

Is it essential that the truck has the plow prep package on it or do you guys run them fine without that? Most of the trucks for sale around here don't have the package there just the work truck models.