1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500hd manifolds

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Clint S, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

My manifolds have looked like a huge glob of rust for a few years, but have hung in there. I now hear an ever so soft exhaust leak. They are so bad that you cannot see where the rust stops and the studs starts. Anyone else have problems with this and how did it turn out when you tried to fix it. I am really thinking the heads will have to come off because I am sure they will break.
  2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I have noticed the same thing on the manifolds on my truck- I too think I have a small exhaust leak on the drivers side towards the front of the truck- can see it leaking a bit on cold days. For now with money tight- truck running fine and no exhaust in the cab, I'm going to leave it alone because I'm sure it'll be costly to repair.
  3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Start soaking them now with pentrol. Do it often. When your ready to do the project make sure to have the fire wrench handy and heat them up nice and hot before trying to turn them. If you do break them off, well it sucks, but a drill and an easy out should get it out.
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Depends on which one breaks, will tell ya if you need to pull the heads. I have to pull mine, since the back stud on each side of the engine are broken flush. Should be a fun project really. Other than the drilling, I dont anticipate it taking more than a day.
  5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

What has workedfor me ,on the one Im working on now. a 6.5 Diesel is to heat the studs up red hot right to the head let em cool for about 3-5 minutes and start to apply a little twist, once I can get it to move left and right I get the penetrating oil to it . Ya gotta get the studs red hot. I found this out as at the last stud I ran out of oxegen , so I tried a small propane hand held torch, not hot enuf. Good Lucktymusic
  6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

we have had to replace our passenger side manifold as it had a complete crack along where the primary enters the collector. wasnt too bad except that our oil dipstick would pull out of the block and was soo rusted that it broke.

the manifold is actually pretty easy to work with if you take the inner fender off.
  7. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

Its actually better if the heads break off then you just pull the manifold off heat the studs and use vise grips to pull them out. Only have to drill if they break flush, hope that don't happen!
  8. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Problem is that I really do not think there is enough bolt left to even get a grip on especially with a wrench. When I do it this summer I may end up grinding off what little head is left from the bolt and pulling the manifold off first. Then I will be able to heat it up at the head and get on it with a pair of vice grips. It is not leaking bad so I will wait. I have a welder and a torch so we will see where it goes.
  9. augerandblade

Murphys Law kicked in for me In the last couple of days I got 7 of 8 bolts/studs out and the last just wont budge. Used heat, penetrating oil, heated the head, every trick that worked with the other seven. Not looking forward to the drill and EZ out. Gonna try a stud remover socket first
  10. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

You were actually LUCKY that only 1 broke. Had 2 chevy 3/4 tons and replaced 1/2 dozen studs between the two
  11. augerandblade

Im lucky that i dont havta be in a hurry with the repair. Waiting on a stud remover and im not talking about the bouncer kicking me out of a bar