1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD Maintenance

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Citrausa, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

Since I need to find another truck for plowing, I've been looking at a 2500HD Diesel with a lot of miles. Having never owned one, what am I looking at for maintenance or issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Well what's your definition of high miles? Some say 100k is high, personally I've got 2 trucks over 250k and one at 315k.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

buy new like i did then you dont have anyones problems

4. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

x2 on what is high miles. mine is an 02 with 296k. Post what year of truck because there are different series of duramaxs that each had their own issues. lots of folks don't like the early duramaxs because changing injectors is time consuming, but they get the best mileage due to zero emissions equipment. LBZ duramaxs are the most sought after so you will pay a premium for one regardless of mileage. I wouldn't worry about miles on a diesel, just worry about how its been maintained. my tdi has 376k on it and it still runs good. depends on the maintenance.. duramax series: (correct me if i'm off on the dates) LB7: 2001-2004 1/2, 2004 1/2 to late 2005 LLY, 2006 to 2008 LBZ, 2008 to 2010 or 2011 LMM? Each will have their preference, cheapest will be LB7, then LLY. LLY has redesigned valve covers which makes changing injectors a breeze (LBZ is the same).

5. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

forgot to mention, all GM trucks of this year range suffer from "pump rub" in the transfer case, merchant automotive makes a fix that is like $80. otherwise its normal diesel maintenance: fuel filters, injectors (periodically -when they go bad) u-joints, ball joints, etc.

6. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

Good point. Currently looking at 2003 Chevy 2500HD with 277k.

Man I wish! My dream truck is 3500HD 4 door single axle with the Allison trans. And I think the only way to get the Allison is with a diesel engine. The sticker shock of 50K plus outside of my current range of purchase power though.

7. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

Currently looking at a 2003 2500HD diesel with 277k on it. My biggest concern is injectors, fuel pumps, glow plugs and anything else I can't think of... especially not knowing that type of vehicle very well.

I figure U joints and Ball joints a wear item.. esp now that I'm plowing lol.

But like I mentioned, its the other stuff I wouldn't know about with a diesel. I would hate to purchase any diesel vehicle and then get stuck with injectors, pump issues or etc. I understand buying used I take that chance. But being better informed before purchasing said type of vehicle is what I'm going for.

8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I have a 03 CCSB dura max, 298k on her now, it's had a new transfer case, and injectors at 150k. It doesn't have a plow on it though.

9. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Thats a lot of miles on any truck and even though the engine may go 400k don't for get about the other parts that make it roll down the road, like tranny, t-case, rear ends etc.

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

don't forget to check brake lines and fuel lines, fuel with cooler oem is about $1000 installed, a stainless steel brake set is $350 plus install

11. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

I passed on the 277K mile 2500HD due to no maintenance records and the amount of miles on it.