1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD Knock

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 042500hd, Oct 9, 2008.

1. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I have a knock that can be heard and felt at low speed turns in the front of my 07 2500HD. Had my mechanic go over all the front end components and he says they are all ok. Then I came across an article about the upper intermediate steering shaft causing a problem very similar to what I'm having. Has anyone else experienced this issue, how difficult is the steering shaft to change? Thanks in advance.

2. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

I had a new steering shaft installed as well. Take it in to the dealer. It should be under warranty still. Also do you have the side tube steps added to your truck?? They could be the problem as well.

3. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

No side steps. Unfortunately for me I'm out of warranty so I will be doing this one myself.

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Buy a new one from Summit Racing. I belive its a Borg Warner part but it makes the problem go away.

Regards Mike

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Dorman, makes the Improved upper shaft that eliminates the clunk feel in the wheel. If u bring it back to the dealer they will put anohter junk shaft in it or grese it that will last a couple months dont even think about. I have been installing these shafts like hot cakes. Cost Is about 50 from local parts store like carquest. The updated shaft no longer has splines that cause the clunk in the wheel when the greese wears out. Hope this is ur noise. The knocking will be felt mostly in the steering wheel turning and over slight bumps.

6. brad96z28

If u want to be sure Unbolt the shaft under the hood With the 15 mm nut and bolt and and extend the shaft in and out 10 or so times and this should make ur noise go away for a short time. In the process of changing the shaft make sure u lock the wheel U do not want to spin the wheel around when it is unhooked U can damage the clock spring If u do not keep the from rotating.

7. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

You are all wrong. you have to listen to the oil filter.

8. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

9. brad96z28

Yep same design But only 200 more dollars then the dorman.

10. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Replaced today with a new OEM part. Dealer was aware of the problem and claimed this one permanently fixes the problem no grease at all. They said a large part of the problem was they were selling the old bad shaft under a new part number and passing it off as a fix. They claim that is no longer happening. We'll see as of now the knock is gone, knock on wood.

11. brad96z28

Good Info to know. How In the world did ur mechanic not know what the problem was. Only been a problem on almost all of these trucks for the last 8 years?

12. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

What dealership did you go to? I have the same problem and I want to make sure I don't take it to a dealership thats going to do a half assed job. Thanks. I am glad I am not the only one having this problem. I even asked my dad to drive my truck, wee have the same ones, and he said he didnt notice anything.

13. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I go to Jim Ball or Jim Murphy. Had issues with both replacing tie rod ends, and some other things in the front of my 04. Then when it started on my 07 I had my cousin look at it who has the same issue on his Tahoe, he was also stumped and he's a 'real mechanic' not just a parts swapper. We were all surprised to find that a $90 part that took me a 1/2 hour to change was causing the problem. It's been 2 days since I switched it out and it feels strange to not feel and hear the knock I had been living with it for so long. If you decide to do it on your own and need a hand let me know. This is really pretty easy and while I'm no mechanic I'd be glad to help if you need it.

14. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

Thanks for the offer, I didn't read your post as thoroughly as I thought, I have an 04 not an 07, was this a problem you had on your 04 as well? I purchased an extended warranty when I bought my truck so I am covered and will take it in. Maybe I will take it over to Jim Murphy, near my house. A friend of mine works at Gillogly

15. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Take it in they will cover it. it was an issue on my 04 and from what I understand has been an issue since 99.

16. brad96z28

Seriously? stumped on a problem that has been common on almost of of these trucks for the last 8 or so years.And is a real mechanic? :dizzy:

17. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

Why am I not surprised. Lets not fix the problem we'll let it go on for 8+ yrs and piss people off!!! Thanks again 042500hd

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

All you have to do is a Goggle search using the phrase "GM steering clunk" and it would provide you DAYS of reading enjoyment. Been a problem for years. not just on the trucks either. :salute:

19. brad96z28

True and there much more a pain to change in cars.:realmad:

20. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Even at the dealer 2 days ago when i bought the new shaft the parts guy told me they still have the old/bad style and they get used because they 'still have them'. Had I not asked and known the correct part number I have no doubt that I would have been sold the old junk. Also I was not very ambitous in getting it resolved as it was only an annoyance.