1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD is a Fisher XLS too heavy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snow game, Nov 23, 2008.

1. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I'm looking at buying a new 2500HD and putting either an XLS fisher or 810 Blizzard. Will that be too heavy? Does anyone out there have this set up?

What year 2500HD ? You should have a tag inside the drivers door that will tell you your front axle rating and then you contact the manufacturers site to see how heavy the plow is and if your truck will handle it. Diesel engines weigh more than gas engines so the plow you want may fit your truck BUT not with the diesel. Hope this helps, Keith
  3. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

I did the math, and an 810 on my 2500HD 6.0L put my front end right at 4800, with 2500lb of ballast in the back. You'll be over if you've got the Duramax - but it's up to you have much over you want to be. I was a little hesitant to put the 810 on my 2006 D/A, but the Timbrens give me a little comfort factor - even though the weakest parts are the tie-rods and the lower control arm.

Also, if your truck doesn't have the plow prep package, your FAWR may be as little as 4250 lb. With the plow prep, all front ends are rated at 4800lb.
  4. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Well, seeing as you said new, I am guessing you want an 08' ? More information would be really nice too...what cab, engine, bed length (crew and ext) etc.
  5. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

You will be just fine.
  6. tazman7

tazman7 Junior Member

I have an 11' curtis on the front of my dmax. This year im just going to put about 800 lbs of weight in the rear and possibly some timbrens....
  7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

put some timbrens on and about 600 lbs of ballast behind the rears and you will be fine. If you are running salt then that will work also. .I am going to get a wideout on my next 2500hd soon...
  8. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Kendrick, tazman and Burkart: how are you guys coming up with those numbers, and the "you'll be fine"???
  9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

holy smokes! I got a 11'4" mega blade on my Dmax, 3500. Dont worry about it, crank the t bars and put some timbrens in, everyone up here runs 810's on 2500's.. No one ever has a problem.... lol no one up here even knows what ballast is, you can ask JD Dave about that one
  10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i have an 8.5 meyer poly with wings on my 04 2500 hd. the weight of the plow and wings is close to 1000. it has timbrens and the bars are cranked 5 turns. the front drops one inch. I have the salt spreader on the back that weighs 200 and then about 1500 lbs of salt. the truck runs great with the weight on it. Been doing it for over 12 years and all my chevys held up. what are you complaining about?you ll be fine...

I run an old 96 Sierra 2500 8600 GVW with the 6.5 Diesel and a Western Ulrtamount 7'6" Pro Plow with Timbrens in front and the T bars cranked all the way with a 4250 front axle and 2450# of salt with a Western 1000 spreader and it handles everything well. Now with two skids of salt it sounded and felt like it would break in half so I went back to carrying one skid. I am going to scale it at the truck stop this winter loaded with full fuel to see how much I am over on the GVW .
  12. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

13. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I have the xls on my F-350 dually & its just enough for it. Those plows are a bit over 1000 pounds! very heavy. wesport