1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD Heated Mirrors

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Motorman 007, Mar 11, 2005.

1. My heated mirror, DL3 option on '04 2500HD (pass side) stopped working this last storm. There is also a small hairline crack in the middle of the glass area. NO, I didn't hit anything, but I thought it strange that it would crack on it's own and then not heat. Does anyone know how hot the mirror gets. Would the sudden cold of washing it when activated break the glass?
    Any thoughts or opinions?
  2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

MOTOR..........Same deal here with my 04 2500 !

A couple of weeks ago it was snowing to beat the band and I kept
    pushing the button to keep the mirrors and rear window heaters on.

I noticed after a while the left side mirror cracked ! It was smoking
    BUT it did keep heating. Now the right side mirror won't heat at all
    and its NOT cracked.

I know the mirrors and rear window are on the same fuse so I guess
    its off to the dealer when the weather breaks and I can leave it for
    warranty repair.........

Funny, I haven't noticed any posts about cracked mirrors on any of
    the GM truck threads yet. But most of those fellas don't plow and
    spend hours behind the wheel...............

Keep us posted on what the dealer tells ya..........................geo
  3. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I've been told that when heated mirrors were first intorduced "back in the day" they used a light bulb as the heating element. I don't know what years that was, or what brand. I doubt they still use bulbs for heat. But, if they did, it might cause a localized hot spot that would cause problems with the mirror glass if the mirror were hit with cold water.

I'd be interested in knowing what the mirror heating element looks like. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can copy and paste the section of a repair manual that has a view and parts list of the mirror and its internal parts.
  4. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

not sure exactly what the problem is but just wa warning they are expensive to replace. For the glass with heater it costs about $260. My freind just had to replace the mirror in his new tahoe.
  5. sonjaab

KILL..........I KNOW those mirrors are quite $pendy ! A few years
    back I broke just a plain power one off my 94 Yukon while plowing.
    It was $175 with the dealer discount ...........I installed it myself.

Funny tho........Pep Boys sells a copycat/knockoff power mirror for
    the OBS GM trucks for $50 bucks !

My bud works for a GM dealer so I will get a free warranty fix no
    Just have to wait till "snow time" is over for the year so the truck
    can be out of service for the day....................geo :drinkup:
  6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I noticed my passenger side mirror was cracked back in January. It also seems to NOT heat any longer.

I thought a branch may have hit it, but now that I see someone else with this problem.... :nono: must be a warranty problem.

Just a hair line crease in the glass. Still able to see through it. Was going to get a replacement glass, but if this is something common on these, then Warranty it will go.

I really haven't been happy lately with the heated glass. Could this Passenger side crack have caused BOTH sides to become "non-heated"???
  7. TLS,

The crack is just a crease, just like you said. When I made my appt for Monday the service manager didn't sound surprised. Plus, it's under warranty anyway and I've heard of others with the same problem since I posted the other day. I'll keep everyone posted but for now, we're plowing our 20th event of the season here in Northern Mass!! Enough already!
  8. sonjaab

The Plot Thickens

Hey guys...........Where did your mirror crack?

Mine cracked where the mirror goes into the "L" shape (gets smaller).

Design Boo-Boo ? :realmad:
  9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I just went out to take a quick picture in my fuzzy slippers.

None of the pics came out all that well.

I had to put a dotted line where the crease is.

10. sonjaab

YEOW TLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine cracked in the EXACT same spot too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOTOR.......Is that where yours cracked ?

I smell design boo-boo.....................................geo :mad:
  11. Guys,
    Mine is more of a diagonal upper left side to lower right side crack/crease.
  12. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I have had 2 replaced on the pass side and 4 on the driver side of my 03 1500 hd
  13. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

mine too

under warranty(now expired) i had the passenger side replaced for no heat and the drivers side replaced for a crack.it cracked right across the middle of it.this year the passengers side cracked(across the middle again) and the heat stopped working.just a replacement glass for the mirror cant be 200 hundred dollars.if it is ill be putting plain glass in.seeing how my truck is 2001 and i see 2004`s with the same problem no sense in wasting money on defects.
  14. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

Are any of these cracked mirrors the ones with the red LED turn signals and power folding option?

Just wondering.

I absolutely love the power folding option. I have arthritis, and it's difficult for me to walk out to the road every day to get the mail and newspaper, especially what with cars and trucks whizzing by at 55 MPH. So, I typically drive one of the trucks onto the road, pull in the side mirror, and grab the mail & paper. With the Trailblazer, I have to reach out and yank in the mirror manually, which is not fun when it's covered with snow, ice or grimmy salt (I'm a bit OCD and hate getting my hands dirty... OK, just kidding!!!). So, the power folding thang on the Silverado is a great thing for me. I wish it was available on all GM trucks. Anyone with rural mailboxes would probably appreciate the option.

Any chance of a photo of the fuzzy slippers? Just wanted to compare them to mine. I gotta get some of those monster slippers. I saw them in a catalog, and now I can't remember which catalog (of the thousands we get) they were in!!!
  15. Tsb??

OK, so you guys are good at this, there must be a TSB of some kind on this. Can anyone start looking??
  16. sonjaab

RED.........My mirrors are the plain heated ones with NO power
    fold or turn signal.

GUYS..........GM Parts Direct sells the replacement glass kit for
    just under $30 bucks plus shipping........
  17. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

guys i have a 2005 hd it said it has heated mirrors buti have no button to :dizzy: turn them on . do they com on with the rear defoger button ?
  18. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

comes on with rear defog
  19. sonjaab

GUYS.........These mirrors are made for GM by http://www.gentex.com

Check out their site about their "innovative" products........ :gunsfiring:

Seems these heated truck mirrors are a BIG POS part as a bunch of
    us are finding out...............................

BTW.........My dealer informed me Friday there is still NO TSB and
    my mirrors are on warranty backorder............................

Can't really complain about the truck tho. 8000 hard snowplowing
    and heavy towing miles so far !....................:drinkup: ...geo
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  20. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Do these guys also manufacture the rear views in chevy's and dodge? The example they have on their site is strikingly similar.