1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD Frame - Bumper/Hitch Mounting

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cclay, Mar 5, 2004.

1. cclay

cclay Junior Member
    from IL

Good Morning All,
    I bought a 2001 Chevy 2500HD Chassis/Cab last weekend. Got a great deal, but it has some issues. Some shop mounted a service body on it and cut the ends of the frame members off about and inch behind the rear shakles. I'm putting a Type III hitch and long box back on it, and have to come-up with a fix/repair/extension for the frame.
    What do you guys think is best? Local junk yard said they'd only sell half the frame (if they had one) not the 8" (?) I need. Could weld up some 4" channel, but worry about the hitch strength/support. Shouldn't there be another crossmember at the end of the rails too?
    Does anyone know if some kind of horns are available to solve this problem?
    Also looking for any good pictures of this area of the frame. No luck searching the web so far.
    Thanks for any advice you can give, cclay
    claysix@juno.com

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You should be able to weld in a piece of "C" channel, that is close to the same height of the frame, with a splice plate welded inside of the frame. You have to be careful of the area around the spring mounts though. There is one cross member at the end of the frame rails also. We dont have any gm chassis' in our shop right now so i cant get a pic for you.

3. cclay

cclay Junior Member
    from IL

Thanks for the idea. I'm trying my last hope to get the actual pieces from a shop in St Louis that mounts specialty beds (cargo, wrecker, plumer's box, welders, etc) right now. Will go with the channel if no luck there by next week.
    There has got to be a diagram or drawing of the chassis somewhere on the web. Still searching....
    Clay

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Clay, sent you pics of a 2500 chassis, let me know if you dont get them.