1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD Ext Cab. 6.5' bed, 6.6 Duramax-- Plow advice?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Yaz, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I am picking up my new truck this week. I want to get a 7.5' XBlade but Fisher tells me that only the 7.5' RD is all they recommend. This is killing me…The front end is rated at 4800 GVW. Lots of local guys run the 8’ HD Fisher on this exact truck with no problems. It weighs less on the web page that a 8' HD but when you add the cutting edge they are both about 802 pounds. Any body running this 7.5 or 8’ Xblade on this same truck?

2. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Go to Fisher's web site and see what they recommend. Alot of guys here are running big blades on there trucks.

I have a 7.5RD on a 2004 1/2 ton. No issues yet.

Good luck

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

You would be crazy to hang anything less then an 8' blade on that truck. My partner in crime has the crew cab short bed diesel (chevy) with a 8' Pro western plow no problem. Just about 782 i think, you will be fine. Hanging a heavy blade on a 1/2 ton is a different story, the components in the front end will wear a lot quicker then a 3/4. I know guys do it, but there is no comparison between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.
    T

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

i have the same truck and am running a western 7.5 pro plus with wings, which brings it in at 8.5 feet. it wieghs over 800 lbs and western says its the right size plow for my truck.

5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

So you say the timbrens up front are a good investment! what kind of difference will it make when I lift the blade? will it cut the sag all together? Half ? I don't think the dealers would care if there in there. They just replace the stops. Salopez... why timbrens in the rear too? is it for a you balast? If so, how much do you add?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Yaz what the Western dealer tells you and what you tell them are 2 different things. Your front axle is rated for X amount of pounds, this is where the manufactures come up with there numbers of what you can hang on your front end. . If you plan on subbing you might get away with 7.5 usually 8' is minimum. If you work for yourself then get a bigger blade !! What will plow a parking lot or drive quicker 7.5 or 8.5 ?? Do the math the quicker you clear a space the more profitable you will be. Why do you think guys hang Blizzard 810's on there trucks. they move way more snow, they will not fall within specs on a 3/4 ton but they are about the same as a v-blade. 100#s over weight or slightly more.
    The timbrens will make a world of difference, especially on a new chevy diesel. Back Timbrens are for salt spreading, again your gonna be pushing your weight limits. Im not saying overload the crap out of your truck but a lil bit is not going to trash your truck either. The timbrens are great on my Dodge and they do "not" affect my ride, they do not touch when unloaded.

T

7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Thanks T-Man.. You convinced me to get the 8' and the Timbrians. I just called to local dealers for a 8' X blade. Big differance in price...one guy was 4,450 installed -400 if i do it, and he will give me a Remote Controller and Cutting edge N/C. The other wants 4650 with nothing -400 if i install it. So that's it.. I'm going for what I know and feel comfortable. I had fisher so long I just have to buy one again. I had about 19 storms this year so I guess I can splurge a little.. O yeh..I tried my buddies Diamond and I coun't get used to the thing not dropping (Float) or no slamming left and right to flick the snow off. Do you like the Western? My bud has a old one 16 years old and he is just retiring it. Only because I gave him my old fisher yesterday.( I'm working him for a Muncie M22 for my 68 Camaro) 16 years is Petty darn good, It owes him nothing.. By the way The dodge is the best looking truck out there. I know, I know I have had such good luck with my last 3 GMC's I had to stick with one. I'm Loyal to GM... Ok you say it....I'm a sucker.

Thanks again for the Advice. I am going to search for some timbrens.

Note: If Any one has a Truck out there with a GMC 2500HD Ext cab 6.6 8' XBlade I want to ask how you like the combo. It will be some time before I can push the white stuff! :cool:

8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I can't believe your front end only has a 4800 GAWR. Even with the added weight of the diesel. That is like my truck and my front end stinks. I agree with everyone else, 8' minimum.

9. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i have the 7.5 rd on the 2500 hd with no cutting edge. works fine with no timbrens or torsion bar twisting. i dont see the need for a heavier blade really
    the difference is only 1 gauge of metal which is almost nothing. about 1/32"

10. salopez

salopez Senior Member

the timmbrens are great, both ends. the front touches at all times, but makes the truck ride nicer. in the rear, the timbrens does not touch empty so it does not effect the ride. i bought the rear to help carry anything.....just a little bit better. for salt, pallets of stone, dirt....what ever. i love it, one of the best upgrades to date.

11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Thanks Guys! Now it time to convince the wife that I'm worth the extra price of the X-Blade. :rolleyes: