1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD Duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 2004F550, Feb 9, 2004.

1. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Anyone have a problem with the Duramax losing about 2 quarts of oil every month to month and a half? This is just driving around town. There are never any oil spots and never any dark smoke, so I am led to believe that it is not burning it but it is getting lost some where. One time between 5000 mile oil changes I checked the oil and it was below the add line on the stick, but I still had oil pressure, so I added the necessary oil and kept going. Keep in mind this can be as much as 2-3 quarts per month which doesn't seem right for a 2002 truck with no leaks or anything. Just thought some one might have some input. Thanks

2. 03GMC

03GMC Junior Member
    from Canada

You do your own oil changes?

If not i would check right after you get it changed next time...sometimes they don't put enough in at lube shops...they use those automated pumpers,the guy might have punched in wrong engine therefore not giving you enough oil:confused:
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

How many miles? I'd say its burning it. Time to take it to the dealer. Stick to your guns when they do thier little consumption study deal. A regular oil analisys might be a good idea if they start to get pissy. That much oil consumption is NOT normal. My Duramax dont do that......

What oil outa curiosity?
  4. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

It's 15W-30.....as for the brand...I'll check tomorrow...I do my own changes.... I get appox. 800 miles per month during this season w/ snowmobiling.....so it would be about 3 quarts for 800 miles...seems high to me
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

sounds fishy to me......my duramax doesnt burn or lose any oil.
  6. renegade

renegade Junior Member

Check your pollution contol valve (PCV)...might be stuck. You might also pull your dipstick, while the truck is running, to check for excessive crankcase pressure. If oil spits out the dipstick tube, you have a ring problem. Make sure you don't overfill the crankcase to prolong the need to add.

Good Luck
  7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

15w 30???

should be filled with 15w 40(although full synthetics of the _w 40 variety are fine, but its end nuber should be 40) JMO

PCV(possitive crankcase ventilation) didnt get put on the duramaxs till 04......I think.....or is that egr and cats.......unless you got a CA emmision vehical.....I cant quite remember :confused: But if its sticking it will cause problems.

Take her to the dealer after you fill it with 15w 40 and run it for a bit.

3quarts per 800miles is nuts unless you have 500k on it :eek:
  8. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

My bad it is 15W-40...Sorry for the mix up
  9. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

A diesel will eat 30 weight oil. Use a 40 weight.