1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD Dmax questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BigDave12768, Jan 25, 2008.

1. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

My buddy is looking to buy a 05 2500 HD xcab SB with the DMax without a plow prep package. Online match systems claim he can put a 7.5ft plow on it. But he wants an 8foot plow on it What needs to be done to make front able to handle this. The Dodges seem to have the same front end parts in the 3500 and the 2500.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You will have no problems with a 8' plow. If you want you could turn up the torsion bars and add a set of Timbrens. I believe the 2500HD and the 3500 have the same front end also. They are saying 7'6" only because you have an ext. cab.
    If you do a search you will find days of reading.

3. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

The '05 has the LLY duramax in it . SOME , not all , had an overheat problem under heavy load . Hard to test in winter weather . Best bet take the vin # to a dealer , they can do a history check to see if it has had that complaint from previous owners and what the resolution was. Good luck.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a '05 LLY EC/SB LLY D'Max and have a Boss 9' Straight on it. Timbrens in front and ballast in back. I'm good to go!:cool:

5. BigDave12768

I guess it does have the plow prep package. It has that roof beacon switch. I think I was judging it on having no overhead marker lights

6. v-plower

v-plower Senior Member

I have a 8.5 meyer Pro-v with no problem. My torsion bars are cranked up for the 285's and I have air bags in the in the back.
    Was going to add timbrens but don't think I need them.
    When I am fully v'd for travel I will occasionally scrape when going up a short/steep incline entering some parking lots.

7. BigDave12768

Any idea how the on truck part of the truck will cost?

8. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Look in the glove box and see if it has a wyu code, that's the plow prep

9. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

The snow plow prep is VYU
    and you can do a vin check on www.dieselplace.com
    BTW I have an 8' Fisher on my Extended Cab Duramax, I cranked the torsion bars up and added timbrens it holds the weight no problem.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  10. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

doh! Yeah mines got it and I got an 8'HD and it's fine by Fisher's site.

11. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I just checked on the Fisher site again. With everything identical between mine (an 01) and an 03 (the next body style) it makes a huge difference. It says I can even go with the 9'HD and the 9'X-blade poly. The only difference was the year. Man, those newer ugly lights and egr must weigh a ton.

12. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

I don't know about weighing a ton but my 2007 has had the EGR replaced twice in one trip to the dealer after almost replacing my turbo because of bad diagnostics:realmad:.
    My 03 does not have an EGR that I am aware of.

13. BigDave12768

Well I am may the truck myself. Just gota get price right

14. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

are you selling your dodge?

15. BigDave12768

Yeah I may trade it in. My buddy is still up in the air if wants to buy it. So I am just hanging back right now. My truck has 75k on it. I had front end done in the summer. 4 ball joints and the ujoints in the hubs. PLus 4 new rotors all around and brakes. And the tranny was rebuilt. It went back twice for repair and they patched. The third time it was not going back in patchable condition. So the tranny was done at 65k. I have all reciepts for truck and change oil every 5k with Synthetic Rottlella and either a K&N or Mobil one oil filter

And the list below is missing a bunch of things. It has LED tailights, Pia lights in rear, fire and ice bar, Dodge seat covers, Factory Nav. Factory Bedliner, (not installed) Banks intercooler.

The deal I am working with truck doesnt include my plow. But my deal was they are installing the on truck side to the Chevy with all new fisher parts. So I could just pull up to my off truck part and go. And I was going to have to remove the plow from Dodge. I put the plow on the tuck 2 years ago. Boston got a whopping 6 inches of snow last season. So its only plowed one season. I will post picture later. I have to hose it down.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  16. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

your little list of repairs aint too bad, except for the tranny. Id hold onto it a little bit longer if I was you.

17. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

All DM's have EGRs.

18. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hey BigDave

if your buddy is in the market for a good used plow, keep me in mind , I have a real nice and real complete 8' Diamond Trip edge, with everything he'll need for the install on his 05 GM 2500 HD. $2500

call 508 753 6617
    Jay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. shortcircut65

shortcircut65 Junior Member

negative. only the 04.5 come standard with them. the 01's? 02's, 03's and 04's only have them if they were a california emissions truck. if it were federal emissions, like mine, no EGR and no cat.
    YAY! first post!

Ken

20. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Not just CA , some others too , NY,MA NH,VT ME , not sure about CT.