1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD Brakes

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mps, Jun 20, 2007.

1. mps

mps Junior Member

:mad:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for some help!!!!

my 03 2500hd that has 65,000 mile on it has developed a problem that i have never seen.
    when applying the brakes the brakes seem to have a mind of their own. they start applying themselves until they almost lock up, if i lift up on the pedal they go back to normal but next time i touch the pedal its like a ghost is pushing down on the pedal and the brakes apply. the truck is a HD and has the hydo boast brakes every thing is working fine the truck stops straight and smooth. With the price of replacement parts i dont want to start throwing parts at it to attempt a fix. nor do i have much confidence in local shops and the dealer is expensive ( over 100.00 per hour with no guarantee of fixing it )
    thank you for any help.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When it "self applies" the brakes, does the pedal "feel funny"? In other word's, can you feel any roughness or chattering in the pedal as it drops? Does it make any difference whether the truck is hot or cold?

3. mps

mps Junior Member

more info brakes

the brake pedal feels fine. the truck stops straight no problems. no noises its like some one is pushing down on the pedal. the pedal will not come up unless you pull it up then it will stay up till you apply the brakes again, then the pedal will go down and apply the brakes. if i shut off the truck the pedal will come up but as soon as i start it again the pedal gos down and the brakes apply. my first thought is that there must be a return spring either in the master cylinder or the hydo boost system that is broken or jambed and not working. i didnt want to throw money at it to try to fix it. the master cylinder is a dealer item only $ 200.00 and even more when you get into the hydro boost. Thanks again

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, your hydro boost unit is bad. In case your not sure, that's the unit between the master cylinder and the firewall with the hydraulic lines leading to it. This problem actually isn't that uncommon believe it or not. You can by them remanufactued in the aftermarket rather than purchacing them from the dealer. The last one I bought from NAPA was $150.00 plus core charge. If you need to know the brake option your truck has when you go to purchase any parts, it should have the JH6 option (9000 GVWR and above). Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  5. mps

mps Junior Member

OK thank you for your input. I called napa and another parts store and tried to get a hydro boost system for the truck they told me it was a dealer item only. I called the dealer and he told me that they never put that system on the 03 hd 2500 i told him that in fact they did because i have one, i bought it new, i asked about a 2002 2500hd and he listed one for $600.00 dollars but he said it would not fit. (Now you know my lack of confidence in anyone any more) i called napa back and ordered 1 for a 2002 2500hd and i will see if that one fits Napa said it would cost 148.00 + core if it works great. I own a 92,93,03,05,07,07,and all 6 have the hydro boost system i will let you know of my progress. thank you for your advise
    Steve

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Gotta love that. In fact they STILL use the exact same system on the '07's HD's.:rolleyes:

7. mps

mps Junior Member

i picked up the new hydra booster today and installed it, now every thing works perfect thank you for your advice. till next time
    SEE YA,
    Steve
    Management Property Services Inc.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Good call B& B

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks Micki. The HD's are kinda my "specialty". I'm very familiar with them and the common problems they have.

10. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I know you know your stuff with the older plows and Meyer. It is good to know that you know your stuff with the HD's. ;)