1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD Back plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by redhenny16, Nov 19, 2004.

1. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I'm putting a 7'6" back plow on my 2002 2500HD. Does anyone have any advice on what type of hitch to use, I'm a little concerned about the strength of the stock round tube hitch.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I never used one of them but I would like to see some pictures of it if you can sometimes.

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I would look at the weight rating on the plow and compare it to the back plow manufactures recommendations. I believe most 2500hd's come with a pretty good hitch from the factory. (mine came with a class V hitch, holds something like 1000+lbs tongue weight)

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Stock on the 2500HD's & 3500's:

------------- Max. Trailer Wt...........Max. Tounge Wt.
    Weight Carrying.........7,500lb...............1,000lb
    Weight Distributing..12,000lb...............1,500lb

Weight distributing is with proper WD hitches and bars.

They are rated oddly also.
    But in a design that many consider far from durable. I've heard of many breaking welds and twisting.

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

they are rated fine but I have heard that they arnt the stoutest peice......

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I feel the 7500/1000 rating part is probably fine.

The people that are tearing them up are towing 10-12K loads with weight distributing hitchs, and really tweaking them.

I think GM should re-evaluate their weight distributing rating, lower it, and stick this hitch on the 1/2tons.

Then make a real stoudt 12K/15K TRUE class V hitch for the 2500HD's and 3500's.

7. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I know an excavator who tows his mini track hoe all the time with the stock hitch... total weight over 10000lbs, and has not had a problem....

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Does he know his tounge weight?

I believe it was people exceeding or meeting their max. tounge weight that were having problems. Some equipment guys/dump trailers load their tounges on the light side.

It's mainly the Travel trailer guys that I'm reading about. With consistant tounge loads and weight distributing hitches.

While you and I (Identical trucks it seems) cant really overload one with our gasser engine, the diesel guys can physically tow more, and do on a more regular basis.

If I bought a new truck to tow a 12K travel trailer, I wouldn't be using the OEM reciever hitch.

9. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Do a search for rear plow suggestions that I posted a pictur of our rear plow setup.

Hope this helps.

Look under in the search function, Like a Rock !

10. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Nice looking setup, but it's hard to tell from the picture how it mounts. Do you just use a stock, modified hitch or is it a custom hitch. I have a fifth wheel and I've been trying to think of a way to use both my fifth wheel hitch rails and my stock hitch to mount my back plow.

11. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

redhenny16 - I would do a search on google or something and look into this a bit more. I have read of the welds actually busting on the factory hitch platforms while under the rated weight... I'll see if I can dig up the article....

I think it was on mychevytruck.com the guy had pics of it too....not good :nono:

12. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I have no idea what his tongue weight is, but he is not easy on his truck, and it has held up well. I am not saying that the hitches are perfect, but for most who use them within there specs, I do not think they will have problems. I also think that is they are consistently used at or near max rating, regardless of the manufacture, the stress of working at or near its limits will shorten its life. My truck is rated to to something like 10,000 lbs. If I were to tow that amount of weight on a daily basis, I am sure I would have trouble with the hitch, as wall as other wear items(breaks, tires, etc.) since I am working at or near it maximum ratings. I know everything has safety margins built in, but lets face it the rating are based off X number of initial production pieces, and a statistical sample trough out production run, not every piece. so there will be units that are better or worse than the sample pieces.

13. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

the only failures of the factory hitch that I have seen are camper dealers putting too large of weight distributing springs on travel trailers. They put 1400 lb springs on my 6000 pound trailer that was being set up on my 01 Yukon. Trailer manufacturer specs stated 600 lb springs for this application. When I questioned them about it they said they only carried the biggest weight springs and I was getting a better deal. Before getting off their lot I went across a dip and it lifted my front end off the ground. Had to put it into 4wd to get rig moving again..... They ended up replacing spring bars with proper weight and replacing hitch.

14. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I've seen a few pics of failures.....although some of the pulling crowd can be hard on parts. better safe than sorry. Have you gys looked at the welds? I would probably say a pull plow is going to put a beating on things, aint the weight im so leary of, its the plowing.

If it were me I wouldnt put one on a factory 2500hd hitch unless I welded plates on each side were the pin goes through to keep from splitting and egging it out. And i would take a look at the rest of the hitch and possibly thowing a bead or 2 down depending what I saw and though. Or go spend a few dollars, sell your hitch for a case of beer and put a real hitch that you dont have to worry about at all.

JMO your truck and your decision though, just telling you what I would do :)

15. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Has anyone seen or heard of a bed mounted back plow. This would allow for a higher lifting plow and keep all of or most of the plow hardware out of the snow.