1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD and 3500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Italiano67, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Just curious if anyone knows the actual differences between the 2008 2500HD and the 3500HD? I am talking about obviously the single rear wheel 3500HD model. I have a 2007 2500HD Classic and was wondering if the 3500HD would be an upgrade for me because I am really stressing mine out with a VBox overloaded and Boss plow etc.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Other than the additional 700 lbs of GVWR on the 3500, nothing...

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Well they get that extra 700 pounds GVW some how, so I would guess bigger axle and springs and maybe the frame is also heavier. I will ask at work tonight since I work for GM at the Truck Plant.

Regards Mike

4. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

if im right, the 2500 is a 3/4 ton chassis and the 3500 is a 1 ton chassis.

5. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

you get 265 tires stock. But that doesnt matter cause the stock tires are useless, you get a 700 pound higher gvw and an extra spring in the back. I think thats all. Frames and axles are the same i believe

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Right, like I mentioned they get the additional GVWR from a decal, two door emblems and additional rear leaf... no major differences.

Same axles
    Same complete front suspension (including same T-bars in some applications)

7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I was told by the dealer today that the frame is different and rear suspension. Probably another leaf. His computer had the truck width 16 inches wider but the same in all other dimensions with about a 500 pound heavier weight. About 700 lbs more GVW. The tires are the same and you cannot get the forged aluminum wheels. However the price for identical trucks was $200.00 cheaper for the 3500HD. Go figure.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's because he was looking up a DRW truck...

9. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Now that you mention it I feel :dizzy: for not thinking of that.

10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Same axles,brakes, and frame.1 more spring in the rear,front T bars the same,245's vs.265's--700 lb. difference in GVW---9200 and 9900 lbs. I've had both.

11. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Are you sure on the 2008's the frame is the same as the 2500HD?

12. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

im pretty sure the frames are the same. they havent changed them since 01

13. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

yes thay have. the new body style is a completely different frame.

14. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

from what I was reading on dieselplace.com the frames are the same on 01-08 HD's

15. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

The 3500HD has a bigger tail frame section, the springs are completely different. They don't just add an extra leaf. Front torsion bars are bigger (with snow plow prep pkge) and the sway bar is beefier. 2500 has a 9200lb gvw as the 3500 has a 9900lb. I put them side by side in the dealers lot and measured things with a tape and caliper.:dizzy:

The reason the 3500's are "cheaper" than the 2500's is because GM doesn't have to spend the payup on advertising as they do with the 1500's and 2500's.

The real problem is the Gross Vehicle Weight rating. If you are in an accident it would get really sticky. Even if you weren't at fault, in the eyes of the law you would still be negligent and would have a difficult time collecting from the other guys insurance company. You would also probably be cited for being overloaded. God forbid, but if it were your fault and someone were to get hurt you may be looking at serious jail time.

We went ahead and got the 3500's for that very reason. We want that door sticker covering our ( ) )'s.:D Insurance isn't getting any cheaper.

Steve

16. krs1977

krs1977 Junior Member

The 3500 has a beefed up box, its going to only come in long box form.

17. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

I know fords are a totally different truck but awhile back I was looking at all the specs on their website like curb weight, GVWR, tow rating, etc. etc.

They had a chart that listed there trucks starting with their F-150, then it went F-250/350SRW, and then F-350DRW. All the specs for the 250 and 350SRW were the same. And obviously the DRW whas higher.

I just thought that it was kinda Interesting that the single wheel 350 and the 250 were the same truck.

I know your talking about chevys but I just thought I would throw that out there.

18. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

From what i could see at the dealer, the 1 ton plow prep trucks had much heavier suspension than the 3/4 ton in the allison/duramax line up. Believe it or not, in this bottom photo, the truck has 700 lbs of weight in the bed.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  19. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

It is not a new frame. the frame is a carry over for the HD's, only diff. is i would guess is body/bumper mounts (flykelly or someone else please correct me...).

20. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Once again---the only difference is 1 more spring in the rear and the bigger tires.No such thing as a ''bigger tail frame section''.If you look up the part #'s on the sway bars,shocks,torsion bars,you will see they share 1 number for each.