1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD alt failed-Anyone else have this?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hickslawns, Sep 28, 2005.

1. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I have a 2003 Chevy 2500HD with 45,000 miles. Out of warranty. Bad alternator. It does have high output alt as it has the snow plow prep package. This just seems unusual to me. Yeah, I know I plow snow. I have done my share of batteries and alternators. But. . . 2 years old? Only 45k miles? Anyone else have what I feel is premature alternator failure on the newer GM trucks? Is this something that was recalled? Widespread problem or just bad luck for me? Let me know. Thanks

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hicks
    I would talk to the service mgr and see if GM will goodwill part of the cost.

Mike

3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

HICKS...........My 97 went thru 2 under warranty.....
    My 01 went thru 3 of them under warranty. It was the bearing that went
    bad in all of them.................

My 04 has been holding out so far in 2 seasons............geo :drinkup:

4. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

I think what happened to you is unfortunate, but not all that unusual. I lost my battery at 30,000 miles on my 2000 1/2 ton w/plow prep.
    g

5. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

My alternator went out at 47,000miles on my 01 HD. At the time it only had 2.5 seasons of plowing on it. That was with only my front plow, just got a back blade put on, so I'll see how long this one will last.

6. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

gino I can see a battery from a 2000 going out. It is nearly 2006. If that went out in 01-03 I would have been disappointed too. I just don't know what to think about all the newer parts. I am frustrated. This is a problem no matter what the manufacturer. Solution: NO MORE CHINESE PARTS! They need to quit melting down Taurus and Sables and making parts out of them. We have had rotors, belt tensioners, sensors, and several hub bearing assemblies on our newer vehicles with under 50k miles. I just didn't think an alternator would be giving me the same headaches as cheap brake rotors. Does anyone know if the alternator issues have been widespread?

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS...........When your GM alternators went bad , which part failed?
    All of the ones that failed on me the pulley bearing failed.........

Also note I had NO extra pulleys, plow pumps etc. or other mods
    added........
    Just the factory goodies and yes I had factory plow prep........

8. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

I agree with eveything you said buddy. I feel your pain. Only, on my 2000 chevy the battery went in 03 with low miles on it. I was still in warranty by about 2 months so they paid..

9. fastx01

fastx01 Junior Member

Go to www.alternatorparts.com they have high am alternators for cheap. I put one on my s10 once and i kicked ass!

10. fastx01

fastx01 Junior Member

Go to www.alternatorparts.com they have high am alternators for cheap. I put one on my s10 once and i kicked ass! Cs-144 high amp alternator.