1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500HD advice please

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by uhoh429, Jun 29, 2011.

1. uhoh429

uhoh429 Junior Member

Hey everyone. I've been browsing the forums over the last year or so, but this is my first post. After shoveling and snowblowing driveways for years, I've set a goal to buy a plow vehicle by this winter. I've come across a clean 2001 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab, Short Bed, 4x4, 6.0, 180,000 mi, Newer Boss V-Blade, original power/drivetrain. Don't know what gears yet.

So, the few questions that I'm hoping to get answered are:

1. I'll be mainly doing small lots and driveways. Will this be a good truck for me?

2. 180,000 miles scares me a little bit, to tell the truth. Any idea how much life I can expect from it? i.e. how many miles did you go before having to put a motor, trans or differential in your truck?

3. I tend to baby my vehicles, and my current van gets 15mpg city, 18 hwy. I won't be doing much hauling, but fuel economy is also a concern for me. Do any of you get halfway decent mileage by baby-ing your truck? (I mean not going over 2000rpm, accelerating from a stop in city traffic)

4. Overall, I'd like to hear opinions about this truck. I'm a Ford guy, and I admittedly like the looks of the 2500 over the F250, and the general public seems to prefer the 2500hd for plowing.

5. Asking price is $9,900.00. What would you be comfortable paying?
    Thanks in advance. -Joe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Looks nice, check both rockers for rust, they tend to rot out from the inside, staring at the rear corners. Check to see if they're soft.

180k is nothing on a 6.0 and the rest of the truck is good for alot of life too if its cared for. Get it inspected by a mechanic you can trust. Lots of guys are running over 300 and 400k miles on their trucks with original drivetrains. Good owner care is what its all about.

3. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Exactly what mayhem said, but that seems a little high priced for year and mileage

4. uhoh429

uhoh429 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies.

The owner stated that he had all of the rockers replaced last year. The truck is about 1.5 hours away from me, so I can't just hop over and check it out. He also stated that he has run lucas oils in the differentials. I'm going to try the old "flash cash at em" trick and see what he'll take for it.

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

KBB says $9200, with the plow figured in.

6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

If it's going to be your only commercial rig, I'd be a little nervous of that transmission. I know they CAN go over 200,000, but the fact is that most plow truck transmissions dont. in fact, my 2003 gmc 2500 has 175,000 on it right now and never plowed. The tranny is hanging on its last thread, but still going. If its plowed, theres a good chance that reverse will fail on you when you need it most with that amount of mileage. Just my humble thoughts.

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It looks like a nice truck and plow. But, 180,000 miles is alot on a transmition that has bean used to plow with. It could last anotther 50,000 miles or it could last another 5,000 miles.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't be so worried about the miles on the truck. But fuel economy is not one of the 6.0s strong points.

9. uhoh429

uhoh429 Junior Member

Precisely why I want to get it for less. I'd be comfortable paying closer to $6k for it, anticipating putting a trans in it in the near future. I obviously don't want to get screwed over by having to dump a bunch of money into an overpriced vehicle.

As far as fuel economy goes, I've come to realize that any vehicle plowing snow is going to guzzle gas. I really wanted to find a diesel, but trucks that are smaller than a 3500 or F350 with plows mounted seem few and far between.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The price is more than fair. KBB private party good condition - not counting the plow - is 8K. New rockers, step bars, tool box, what appear to be decent tires, etc. all add to the value.

The value of the plow is in addition to this. The pics are not that great, but it appears to be very new, puts the value in the 4-5K range.

When I mentioned economy, i was referring to normal commuting. 11-14 seems to be the norm for those trucks, and that's being easy on it.