1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 Torsion Bars on a 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DMM, Nov 17, 2011.

1. DMM

DMM Junior Member

New to the forum and joined b/c I am getting back into plowing now that I am finally back home from Iraq. I have an '03 ECSB 1500 Silverado with a Meyer steel 7.5' E60 EZ mount setup and found that I had a twisted passenger side torsion bar from hitting a nasty pothole with the plow on a while ago, but I maxed the passenger preload adjustment to make it level for the time being without the plow on.

Anyhow, I have read that all torsion bars are nearly the same and will bolt up, so I went to the junkyard and bought "GK" bars off an '06 Sierra for $100.00 complete with the keys. The 2500 bars with keys at first looked like they would work, however the 2500 keys are slightly shorter at the nose where the preload adjustment bolt is, so they do not work.

Swapped the bars side to side and front to back and used the stock keys (since the 2500 bars are clocked differently) and everything came together beautifully. At five turns, truck is a little higher in the front than stock but with much softer ride. At eight turns, truck is leveled yet still retains an excellent ride IMO, much nicer than cranked factory bars. I plan on getting the Beyers "Timbrens" knock off's to compliment this and protect the front end further.

I know this has been beaten to death over the years with countless threads regarding the possibility of this combo working, but I have never seen the outcome. Also, it was debated whether this swap would give an OE ride height and ride quality. My experience has been great, and I recommend this over swapping keys on stock bars. Ride is much better and the truck feels more solid, especially in turns, if that makes sense.