1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 Springs on a 1500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Mowey9, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

I was wondering what all I would have to do besides just change the springs. Can I even do this with out it harming my truck. I have a 97 1500 ext.cab 4x4 with a hiniker 8 foot straight blade on it. What is the difference in the suspension of a 97 1500 and 2500 exactly.Thanks for any help that you guys might have.
    Aaron

2. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Im not to Sure About the Front , I would proably say that the Coil Springs are larger on the 2500's, And in the Back 1500's have 4 Leaf springs and 2500's come with 5 (mine Has 6 Cause i have the Camper special pack.) But Upgrading to heavier Suspension Should not be a problem!

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The 2500/3500 front springs will fit on the 1500's no problem, they will give you a little more height in the front also.

4. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

Thanks

Thanks for the help on that. So lets say I change the coil springs and the leaf springs and put some equal to a 2500 on it, then what else will be different from my truck compared to a 2500 when it comes to the suspension?? Thanks for any other input on this.
    Aaron

5. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

Bought 2500 Springs

Ok I went and bought a pair of 2500 springs. I get my truck up in the air and take the old spring off and then set it down next to the new ones that I just got. They are the same, height, size, rings, everything. I put it on to see if the truck is level with it on and it is.

So I was wondering if there was a package that could have been purchased by the original owner when he bought it? If so what else would be different on my truck from the package?

Another question. I but my 8' Hiniker on and measured it all out and the difference with the plow on and the plow off is 1 3/4". Is that acceptable to have it sag that much. Also I did not put any ballast in the back so it might even bee a little less then that when once it balanced.

Any thoughts or info would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
    Aaron