1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 spreader on F350

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hhiggins, Feb 2, 2015.

1. hhiggins

hhiggins Junior Member

Can I hook into the ford switches in the dash (direct) and not use a western on off controller on a 2500 spreader ?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Depends on how much current your 2500 draws. There are two 15 amp and two 30 amps up-fitter switches on the super duties. Don't exceed these limits. If your 2500 need 50 amps then you can't use the up-fitters.

3. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

If it draws more than 15-30amps, but want to retain that factory look...
    grab the 10amp circuit, and run that to a 50amp or whatever needed relay under the hood.
    Sounds a little redundant, but would work. You may be able to bypass the relay for the factory switch so you're not flipping two each time, but I'm not sure how they are wired out.

4. hhiggins

hhiggins Junior Member

Thanks guys . I ended up using a plow solenoid and one of the up fitter switches . Worked great

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Plow relays (solenod) are not designed to run long term. Western sells two, one labelled "int" for intermittent and the other labelled "cont" for continuous. Even if it is labelled continuous I wouldn't expect it to last if they are on for more than a few minutes at a time.