1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 Rear sag

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dudempdude, Oct 19, 2009.

1. dudempdude

dudempdude Junior Member
    from ohio

I have a 1990 GMC 2500 Sierra 4X4. The rear driver's side has a remarkable sag to it (compared to the passenger side). I changed the shocks but it is still there. I checked the leaf springs and the driver's side does look flatter. Aside from the obvious leaf springs, is there anything else that I should look for?

2. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

especially on a 1990 I would be looking for a broken leaf

3. dudempdude

dudempdude Junior Member
    from ohio

Thanks for the response Mcfly. I checked the leaf and it doesn't appear to be cracked. Is this something that you can't see until you remove it?

4. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

i swear all chevy's lean to the left.

every chevy truck ive seen does. and i know mine does too.

mine drope 1-2.5 inches on the left side.

its wierd but i deal with it.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There's probably 5 leafs in that pack. It's often a middle leaf that breaks. They usually break near the axle. They will stay right in the pack, but don't do anything. Get under the truck and look them over closely.

Here's a pic of one. I stole this from got-h2o. He has an axle for sale and I noticed the broken leaf

Broken leaf.jpg

Broken leaf.jpg

6. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

good eye 2cor.

I havent had any of my chevys lean to one side or the other...except the ones with a broken leaf :)

7. dudempdude

dudempdude Junior Member
    from ohio

thanks

Thanks to all that replied. I will order new leafs.

8. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

well thanks for scaring me. im gonna go check my leafs right now.

if they are broke is it ok to drive with them like that ?

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's not the end of the world, but as you can see that stress is going to move the next leaf up and so one. If you have a broken leaf, I wouldn't be hauling any major loads.

10. dudempdude

dudempdude Junior Member
    from ohio

broken leaf

For plowing will a broken leaf pose a hazard - Even with a little weight in the back?

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Have you confirmed you have a broken leaf? Sometimes if the front T-bars are out of whack it will affect the rear. Empty the truck and park it on some flat concrete. Make sure your tire pressures are the same on each side. Take some measurements and see what's going on. It is possible your frame is tweaked also.

12. dudempdude

dudempdude Junior Member
    from ohio

Aren't the t- bars just for the front end? The frame is in good shape.
    I will take measurements this evening and let you know.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The T-bars primarily affect the frontend, true. But if the right front is high, it can push the left rear down some.

14. dudempdude

dudempdude Junior Member
    from ohio

I took a measurement from the wheel flare to the ground(concrete) and they are:
    driver's side rear 35"
    driver's side front 35 1/2"
    passenger side front 36 1/2"
    passenger side rear 37 1/2"

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you are sure the rear springs aren't broken, go ahead and adjust your t-bars. Take the right down a bit, and the left up a bit. That will help the left rear come up. You could still have a twisted frame.

16. dudempdude

dudempdude Junior Member
    from ohio

I briefly checked the leafs - I'll need to go over them extensively. But just in the quick look I did not see anything that jumped out at me aside from it looking more flat than the other side.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just had another idea. Put the truck on the concrete. Jack the back of the truck up by the rear bumper or the hitch. Just till the rear tires just come off the ground. Measure your fronts now. If they are different, adjust them till they are the same.

18. dudempdude

dudempdude Junior Member
    from ohio

Thanks Dog - will check on all items

19. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

sounds like its time to get a SuperDuty..lol

20. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

yeah so instead of sitting cockeyed it'll spit sparkplugs thru the hood, and eat exhaust manifold bolts faster than you can say "crap". good thinkin :rolleyes: