1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 Overheating

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GMC2500HD, Jan 2, 2006.

1. GMC2500HD

GMC2500HD Junior Member

Just talked to the dealer, they are getting me in today before the big storm. Course the truck has all the plow prep goodies but still overheats sumthing awful with the x blade on it.. I have read so many mixed reviews on here, i kinda doubt that this new cluth will do the trick..My 2004 work truck with the plow all the way up and strait never went over the 210 mark..Now my personal truck is ready to blow she goes in the red so far.. Well we shall see what happens i'll tell you all how it went at the stealer tomorrow.
  2. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

you will be suprised! the clutch update has been 100% fix so far on every truck we had the overheat problem. Goodluck, PT.:)
  3. Synergyracing

Synergyracing Member
    from Indiana

lets get the specs and what goodies your truck has....
  4. oldsw-31

oldsw-31 Member
    from mass

what is the P/N for the updated clutch ? I have a 05 2500 and I just put a plow on it but didnt notice it running hot.
  5. GMC2500HD

GMC2500HD Junior Member

The part # 15710101 As for goodies it's pretty stock besides the K&N intake and the Hypertech programer.. Oh also has Whelen strobes inside the headlights and tails
  6. oldsw-31

oldsw-31 Member
    from mass

will this p/n be easily seen on the clutch. I will check mine out. Im assuming you got that # from the repair paper work.
  7. GMC2500HD

GMC2500HD Junior Member

I wish i knew.. I did just get that part number off of the work order. The good news is, i just took the the truck for a ride with the plow all the way up. It never hit the 210 mark, that was around town and a quick little rip down the highway around 65mph. Definetly seems to have fixed the problem
  8. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Had the same problem on my 02. Dealer finally replaced the fan on Friday... after arguing with them for 3 years.

it seems to fix the problem.

Be careful on the "overflow" hose off the fill tank. That silly thing is a $85.00 part and $40 labor. It recycles overflow back into the heater hose. I couldn't prove that the overheating problem caused premature failure of the hose, but at least the extended warrantly fixed the fan cost.
  9. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Is that the p/n for the clutch on a 6.0l?
    My truck started running hot on me the other day. The first day and on my way to work it was fine, but on the way home it got hot. I think it was how much I had the heat on that made the difference-I had the heat on high for all but the ride home and even on the way home, once I turned the heat and fan all the way up it cooled right off. It's a jury-rigged fix until I do the upgrade to the better fan clutch. (I don't have the snow-plow-prep package.)
  10. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

The new clutch made a HUGE difference. Never goes over 210 now.
  11. amar

amar Member

I have an 02 6.0 Boss V 8'2" overheated all the time the clutch update fixed it.
  12. Mr.PLOWSI

Mr.PLOWSI Member

Maybe make a sticky for this overheat problem?

I was a victim of the fan clutch issue. They changed it, now I'm running perfect. Dunno, just an idea,
  13. Hah!!

I drove the 03 home 5 hours from central illinois with the V on the front TOWING a 4200lb 03 jeep grand cherokee (flat towing like you would see behind a moterhome) At 65 the whole way....NEVER did it creast 210....I DO have the plow prep package!
  14. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I have the 05 Sierra with plow prep and a Boss 8 foot trip edge. It never goes over 200 even after plowing for 8 hours straight.
  15. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

I had the same problem with my 05 chevy. clutch fan fixed it!
  16. shop22

shop22 Junior Member
    from ny

i've got an 04 2500hd. had overheating with the fisher v, new clutch fixed it. never gets above 210
  17. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Just a note for the people out there who have the overheating problem but need to get by until they change the clutch: if you run the heater you will bring the temps down.
    I've had good luck with this method.
  18. G-LSCPE

G-LSCPE Junior Member

Has anyone had this problem covered under warranty?
  19. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

I think most everyone has.
  20. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Of course. Is there a better way? :rolleyes: