1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 over heating-chey or gmc

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Big Bear, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Big Bear

Big Bear Junior Member

Hey guys new to the site great place for imfo has any one with a 2000 - 2005 have any problems with there 2500hd's over heating with there plows on if so you will need to install a server duty cluch fan solves the problem had mine done just be for the first big storm runs at 210 all the time got mine at advance auto parts can get part # if anyone needs it Thumbs Up

2500hd ex blade front end raised 3 and half " speedtech 27" kforce mini linear led light bar
  2. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

It may be a GM issue.....My 1500 does it with the plow on and my buddy's 05 2500 does it with the plow on...restricted airfolow into the engine. I installed a low temp 180 degree aftermarket thermostat in mine and worked perfect...never goes above 210 with the plow on now.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yeah a common fan cluth problem. Its a simple and easy to do. Go to the auto parts store and get the extreme duty fan clutch. Once you get home take the top of the fan shroud off then unbolt the fan clutch from the front of the motor. Its easier to take the fan clutch off with the fan because the bolts are bolted in the otherway. Once thats out unbolt the fan then bolt the fan back up to the new fan clutch. Then bolt the whole assembly up to the front of the motor and replace the fan shroud. No electrical componates to undo or anything. It'll take about 30 to 45 mins to do.
  4. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Yep did this to my first truck after it started to overheat then when I got my second truck I changed it before it even got a plow. No problems since
  5. Yeah get a severe duty clutch. Also try a search on here, I ordered mine from some GM parts online dealer that someone linked on here, wasnt bad in price but once I installed it no over heating problems.
  6. Big Bear

Big Bear Junior Member

Hey guys thanks for your imput on your trucks have a great winter plowing

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i might be ******** but what does a severe duty fan clutch do that the reg fan cluth doesnt do? my 97 heats up with the plow on as well. i was going to wire in another fan on mine to try and stop it.
  8. Big Bear

Big Bear Junior Member

From what iam told the fan stays on longer at lower speeds and keeps the engin cool i can here mine when i first take of keeps the truck running very cool 210 all the time
  9. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Yeah from what I got its basically what he said. I got mine at autozone for like $60, thats the ones B&B recommended. The one in your truck could possibly be bad also. Your truck sounds like an18wheeler engine when you put one of these in lol
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They "sense" the temperature better and hold tighter (and longer). A standard clutch comes on at such a high temp it never "feels" enough heat (no matter how hot the engine actually is) from the radiator to engage itself until it's far too warm since the plow is disrupting airflow through the radiator. In the simplest terms, it doesn't know the radiator is even hot until it's too late or you slow down to allow more air to it so it will engage.

So switch to a heavy/severe duty clutch or tell your mom to slow down. :D