1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 or 3500?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaySpring Services, Mar 15, 2006.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Im planning on plowing some lots next season. Not huge but big enough. I'll probably do 2-3 lots and keep my driveways. I was originally planning on getting a Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel. I called the dealer up today to get some info, he said a 2500 would be plenty big enough. Im leaning tward a 9'2" Boss Vee, not sure what I want to do for a spreader yet. I figured with the plow, spreader, and salt that a 2500 wouldn't't or barely be big enough? Any input?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  2. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Go with the 3500, it will handle that setup with a little room to spare. You can never go wrong with having a little reserve!

Good luck... :nod:

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

dealers rarely know what they are talking about, they are just trying to sell vehicles off the lot.
    with that said go with a 1 ton and if you plan on getting a big spreader you might what a dually.

4. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Id go with the 3500. Its a lot cheaper to get it now then to get a 2500 and in a year or so figure out you need a bigger truck.

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 2500 hemi . carries an 8ft plow tailgate spreader and 3000lbs of salt with no problem. however ill buy a 3500 next. whats the price difference between the 3/4 and 1 ton

john

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

3500. 2500 has a GVWR of what? 10000 lbs max. Plow must be somewhere around 950lbs. Spreader with sand will be at least 2000 lbs. Plus yourself and odds and ends. you've got 3500 lbs. of gear. Say curb weight of truck is 6500 lbs. that puts you right at a GVWR of 10000. No sense running the truck to the max all the time. Go 3500

7. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

are you a landscaper, ..wat else do you do.....if you only plow, and have the $$$ to spend, id go with ( if youre about the dodges), a ram 3500 reg cab dually, with the cummins diesel...plenty for a 9 + ft plow and a spreader+sand...+if you get the reg cab youll be still ok with the driveways,,,,go with the dually.....sweet ride all decked out!!!!

8. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Why a Dodge?

-Thann

9. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

why not a dodge?ive owned fords for a long time. however their reputaton
    lately is causing a lot of concern . im due for a new truck and wanted a super duty but with tranmission blowing apart 6.0l engines lossing turbos
    and head gaskets. i think dodge is a good choice

john

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

my 2500 has a c8 meyer and a meyer 3600 spreader and a ton of salt and the thing doesnt sag but about the 3500 thats nice but are you thinking of the srw or the drw a dually plowing really is NO fun at all but the srw will handle more than the 2500 weight wise but its not much and its the same motor in both and the cummins are undeaftable and thats a fact

11. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Because they come with a Cummins diesel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Go SRW defninatly is you are planning on doing any drives at all, I would go 3500, a 2500 will handle it, but a 3500 SRL will handle it better. I don;t like seeing a loaded spreader in a 2500, they tend to overload them even tho a 2500 is generally a 1 ton truck.

13. DaySpring Services

I really dont want a dually. The only time I plan on working the truck is when plow and do firewood. We cut our own wood, about 50 cords a year. I figure the 3500 will stand up to years of work. Im very happy with my 1500, so im going with Dodge again.

14. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

are you going to keep the 1500 too

15. DaySpring Services

No the 1500 will be up for sale or traded in

16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

If you got the spare $$, go with the SRW 3500. I just went to the BOSS site and a 2006 3500 DRW Cummins quad cab has "no applications recommended" The SRW quad shortbox is a different story....:D

17. DaySpring Services

best deal for the 3500 so far is $39200, loaded. Hows this sound?

18. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

What's loaded???

Larait?? Or just SLT? Leather / GPS Navigation?

I paid $31,500 for a 2500 SLT QC, CTD 4x4 shortbox last September, cloth seats, CD player, automatic Tranny, 610 diesel.

If it's just an SLT without leather / gps / sunroof the WHOLE deal, I'd say offer 'em $36k - $37k.

If they say no way, walk away, leave your number if they'd like to deal.

Another thing to check, do they still have the zero % interest??

If they do, is that $39,xxx price have rebates included? Or can you have that price and still take the 0% interest?