1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 independent rear susp vs solid axle?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by bullit340, Dec 6, 2016.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

Have always had a solid rear axle and was able to add timbrens if needed for that anti squat aspect when towing bobcat etc....

Planned on going with a reg cab 8' bed 3500 but can not find what I want anywhere close to me. Was considering a 2500 as I am told the only difference is 500 lbs in weight handling capacity. When I looked at it I was blown away with the independent rear coil setup. I did not expect that on the 2500hd. I am told it is fine and I know they have been out for a while. Anyone have one and what are your thoughts on the rear end?
    Ever have to modify the rear springs for extra weight capacity?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

its a solid axle, not independent with a airbag or coil spring suspension.

a leaf-spring on the rights side is/was independent of the leaf-spring on the left.

the coil allows for axle movement,that will give a smother ride to appease all the car folks who bought trucks
    and complained boot the harsh ride.
    Capture.PNGrannnn.PNG

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  3. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

I knew it was a solid rear, but I miswrote the post- dummy

I guess I am just worried about the coil aspect

4. ktfbgb

ktfbgb PlowSite.com Addict

I love mine. It seems much harder to overload, and if I remember right, the guy at the spring shop in town said that the coil springs won't flatten out over time like the leaf spring trucks. I pull trailers 5 days a week, albeit they are not super heavy, around 4,000 lbs, and much prefer the coils for towing. There is much less perceived transfer from bumps etc. from the trailer into the truck.

5. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I have a 15,reg cab long box 2500 HD and love it. It will take a heck of a load. I tow multiple trailers as well as my fifth wheel camper with no issues. I've been told it's the best riding HD truck out there but have never been in the other brands. I traded my 10 HD for it.

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

the 4-link suspension on a short bed crew cab - stinks. Feels like it is set up with the wrong angles. I'll hit patches of road and it bounces faster than the champagne room or a bull riding competition. nearly makes you throw up it's so bad. Dealer claims it's fine but agrees it's a wild ride - with or with out weights, plow etc.

I've had 4-link's on cars before. Never ever anything like this bronco.

7. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

I tow everything from my mowing trailer to a gooseneck with about 12k lbs on it. My 14 2500 Ram held the weight fine. I've put a snowex 8500 in it for this winter. I run about a yard and a half of salt in it and added air bags. When I fill it i run 75lbs in the bags.

8. ktfbgb

That's strange. I haven't experienced that with my truck unloaded. When out hunting and driving 45-50mph on forest service roads, it's the smoothest truck I've had so far. I wonder if something is up,with yours.

9. trevier

trevier Senior Member

yeah same here. I have a 2016 2500 cc outdoorsman, it rides beautiful.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

My '14 has an amazing ride.

Drops maybe an inch when I hook up my fifth wheel.

Even pulled (once) my 24' enclosed trailer with 2 pallets of salt right up front and a 1025 behind those. It dropped a bit for that.

ktfbgb likes this.
  11. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Love the ride of my 2500, hauled a 10k trailer a couple of months back and she squatted a bit but not bad for no bags / timbrens. If anything I just wish I got the 6.4 Hemi. If you do anything to beef it up I'd go with bags over timbrens. I've had timbrens in the past and IMO they stiffen the ride too much (when empty).

12. scottL

I'm glad to hear two have no bouncing problems like I do. Makes me want to go back to dealer and drop the problem back at their feet.

13. ktfbgb

I would investigate it. What tires are you running? And what psi in the rear?

14. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

What are you running for air pressure? Mine rides better since I went to 70lbs all around but I never had bucking as bad you describe.

15. scottL

I've had two different sets of tires. Firestone, Coopers. Air pressure at different levels, front, back and both. Weight, no weight. From my old racing days using a 4link I'd say the measurement is off. But, There really isn't an obvious adjustment.
    Happens at any speed above 10 and you can get it. Not all roads.

16. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

I've read where some RAM's don't have this but assuming your truck does perhaps the rear coil stabilizer shock is blown / defective?
    rcoilstab.jpg

17. ktfbgb

There's no stabilizer shock.

18. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

That's odd, my 2500 CC short box has one. Is it included only with certain engines?

19. ktfbgb

Not sure. I'll have to look at mine next time I get under there. I don't remember ever seeing one though. Just changed the diff fluid last month on it but I was obviously on the other side of the axle.

20. scottL

Yes, I do have that shock - It was taken off and is fine. I think honestly it is the angles.